Browsing: Removing Mold From Shoes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Mold From Shoes

Shoes sometimes get moldy when stored in a damp closet or put away wet. This is a guide about removing mold from shoes.

Removing Mold From Shoes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 8, 2016 Flag

I'm going through a divorce. My ex tried to ruin my clothes and shoes. My beautiful Soda wedge synthetic heels have mold all over them. I've tried to pull up ways to clean them, but all that comes up is how to clean leather shoes. I really want to salvage my favourite shoes if possible. Please help.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 15, 2014 Flag

As you can probably tell by my name, I love Son of Mars sneakers. My favorite pair is a grey, gold, white and blue mix. To get the mold off, I suggest getting conditioner or cleanser, water, a rag, and a toothbrush. Also have vinegar and straight bleach. Use the rag to apply the cleaner or conditioner to the mold, then scrub the mold off with a toothbrush. After this procedure is done twice, wipe shoes down with rag and alcohol wipes. Apply windex to shoes then scrub with toothbrush again. Let them sit in the sun after blowdrying them thoroughly. After they are dry, coat the soles in clear nailpolish to prevent further mold or creases.

September 12, 2010 Flag

My husband is a teacher. On the first day of school they had a small kitchen fire and the whole school got sent out to stand in a torrential downpour for 20 minutes. There was limited damage to the school, but my husband and his nice leather shoes got soaked!

He set them by the bed and two days later they are fuzzy with mold inside and out. These are his favorite shoes and were quite expensive. What's the best way to permanently remove the mold without ruining the shoes?

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

Best Answer

Wash the mold off with straight white vinegar.

There are products for this sold at saddle and tack shops. I have used them and they work. It may take 2 applications.

The post from skins44 was incredibly helpful! Used this idea on my husband's leather shoes and they came out beautifully shiny and clean. Just used an old dry nail brush first, then the Vaseline. Thanks for the most helpful tip.

May 30, 2012 Flag

I have a large number of white satin shoes that have mould growing on them. Do you know of a method or solution to clean them?

By Chris

I am not certain that this solution will work, but it is certainly worth a try. Whenever I clean bathroom grout that has mold, I spray a stream of straight bleach which quickly begins to kill the mold and causes it disappear shortly afterwards.

Since the shoes are white, I would think a couple of applications of "weakened" or even "straight" bleach over the mold just may do the trick. I do know, however, that bleach can turn things yellow in color, so I would approach this cautiously.

Here's my idea ... (1) Put on rubber gloves; (2) have two white washcloths available and a "dippable" container of clean, clear water; (3) small bowl of pure bleach.

Dip one finger with washcloth into the bleach and swiftly wipe the mold. Immediately immerse the other washcloth in clear water and wipe away the bleach. This may need to be done several times, but should remove the mold. This should be done quickly, as satin is a somewhat delicate fabric.

Should any discoloration occur, why not swipe the entire shoe with the bleach and balance out the color? Hopefully, it will not become discolored.

The shoes are not wearable with the mold on them, so I would try the worst pair of shoes as the "sacrificial lamb". What do you have to lose except a pair of moldy shoes? Please let me know if this works out successfully for you.

September 12, 2010 Flag

How can I get mold off of very expensive gold fabric shoes? They were left in the basement and got damp. I don't know the type of fabric, but it's the stuff most expensive fancy shoes are made of. My daughter has a wedding on the weekend. Thanks.

By Jill from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Removing Mold From Shoes

Check out this post by Suntydt from Tazewell, TN from December 2009: thriftyfun.com/tf317227.tip.htm. She has some great recommendations and one of these, if used very gently, may work for your special shoes. Don't give up hope. I think I'd try the alcohol and water or a vinegar and water (maybe a little borax mixed in) first. I'd dab on a solution of your choice with a cotton ball, not to soak it though. Let it sit for a while and then take a damp wash cloth and gently wipe of the mold.

Another possible solution would be to take one shoe at a time and put it in a large plastic bag, put in some baking soda or corn meal, close the bag and shake hard for a few minutes. Take the shoe out and wipe off whatever you use. I've heard that might work. I do have a pair of shoes in the same condition and I may try that trick before the liquid. Hope this helps. (04/18/2010)

By Corine

April 15, 2010 Flag

How do you remove mold from shoes?

By mardie09

Answers:

Removing Mold From Shoes

Good old fashioned Vaseline will do the trick. Apply fairly heavy with a cloth, rub it in, then wipe off. A plus is that it softens the shoes. Go lightly on the patent leather ones though. Hope it helps. (09/16/2009)

By skins44

September 15, 2009 Flag

My closet is damp and has caused my boots and shoes to mold. Some of my boots (leather and patent leather) aren't too far gone. Is there any way to save them? What product or process can I use to clean the mold off without damaging my expensive shoes?

By palmerkg from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Removing Mold From Shoes

You want to do something quick with the shoes as you don't want mold spores drifting around. They can do incredible damage to you and your home. Get Damp-Rid for your closet, and leave the door open more often for air to circulate. (07/24/2009)

By mulberry204

July 21, 2009 Flag

We have a rather dry house, but in our bedroom closet, almost all of our shoes have the (contained) dry mold.

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldAugust 15, 2012
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 10:11:42 AM on 10.0.0.30 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.