Finding Source Of Car Smell

My car smells. When I use the air conditioner, there is no smell. When I just use the fan that circulates the air from outside, then my car smells. What can I do to get rid of the smell?

Shelley from Worth, IL

i would look under the hood and see if there is anything there causing the smell that may be circulating in when you turn the fan on.

The smell may becoming from inside the car. Try sprinkling a good amount of baking soda through out the car. On seats and floor mats. Let the baking soda absorb the smell for at least a couple of hours, overnight if possible. Vacum it up and see if this solves your odor problem. It may take two or three treatments to completely absorb the smell. If you still think the smell is coming from the vent, you may have to have a someone look at your filters and see if mold has accumulated. In which case they simply need to be replaced.

Years ago a smell was my first clue that little mousies had found their way in under the hood and built a nestie in the heater. I had to pay a service guy to disassemble the heater to remove all the materials they used for nesting. Even after that, there were bits of stuff flying out the vents for a week or so.

I had this exact same problem. In my van there was a filter, like an air filter for the heat/ac system. It was located behind the glove box. This filter was all clogged up with dirt and yucky stuff and that was causing the smell. In my case they wanted 45 or $50 to replace the filter so my husband took it out and cleaned it and it never worked right again. Whenever it was rainy or anything, my windows would steam up and I couldn't see. We finally solved the problem by taking the filter out and just leaving it out. We were too cheap to buy a replacement.

TC in MO

This happen with my Tahoe. Found out that the drain line to the air conditioner was clogged. The repairman said if it is really hot and you do not see any water coming from the side of your car, right near the front door, that usually means the line is clogged, which means it backs up and mildew and other smell will cause the inside of the car to smell. Also, sometime I would notice a small amount of water on the passenger side of my car. This is another sign the line is clogged. It has been really hot and dry here, so we had to run the air conditioner a great deal. So, the problem was not that hard to find. Good luck, hope this is your problem as any mechanic can fix just check around for the best price.

I purchasesd a used 2007 sebring. drove it for a couple of days and I noticed a nauseating smell. The best way for me to describe the smell is urine. I took it back to the dealer and they detailed the car. I drove it for a couple of days and the scent came back. They exchanged the car for another sebring and after driving it for a week this car has the same unbearable smell. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this same problem with a sebring?

I have Chrysler Sebring too and have had this smell coming out when the ac and heater is on. I've tried a car bomb, which only masked the problem. Antimold agents sprayed by the dealer, same outcome, I've had ion sprays several times to no avail. My car is making me sick and still @ the dealer. I refuse to pay to have this ongoing problem. I've asked them to check the heater and ac system, under the dash to find a kinked tube, mold, or malfunction. Tired of getting duped!!! Wasting my time with mickey mouse treatments. Want them to get to the gist of the problem.

My 15year old corsa smells of rotten eggs when I use the fan that circulates the air from outside how can I get rid of the smell

Car Air Conditioner
Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoSeptember 4, 2007
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
🎉
🎄