Clunking Noise from Our Water Heater - Categories:

PlumbingHome Improvement

Clunking Noise from Our Water Heater

Looking for suggestions: Our home's water heater has started making a clunking noise occasionally while the water is being used. It doesn't seem to matter whether hot or cold is being used. Could it be something like air in the lines? How can we deal with this other than calling a plumber?

Thanks for your help!

Becki in Indiana

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Go ahead call a plumber sometimes they can

figure out what the problem is. Its worth a try I did

this once while installing a garbage disposal and

the plumber was very nice and I did it myself!!!

Girl Power... :)

It could be a buildup of sediment. Try draining the water heater. I've seen directions on doing it quite a few times but don't remember the details. Try repair.com - I have found them to be helpful with do-it-yourself stuff in the past. You could also ask them your question and they will actually get back to you!

Ooops! It's repairclinic.com

I asked my handy-man husband, and what came to his mind first was a phenomenon called water hammer. Sometimes water usage (especially washers) can cause the pressure to change so rapidly that the offeding appliance causes a loud clunking noise. Research this and see if you think it's the problem. There's a part you can get called a water hammer arrester ($15-$20 at the hardware store)

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJuly 1, 2004
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Water Heater
Does My Water Heater Need To Be Replaced?
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:51:53 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.