EnergyConservation

Turn Hot Water Heater Off When Leaving

If you have an electric water heater, after taking your night-time showers or washing your dishes, whichever comes last, shut off your water heater. I flip the breaker that controls only the water heater. Turn it back on in the morning. There is enough hot water left in the water heater for any reason you might need it, while the water heater is turned off. I save at least $20.00 a month by doing this.

By Linda :o) from Beautiful Missouri Ozarks

I don't believe you. To begin with, it takes a long time to heat water. Shutting down the heater after last hot water use during the evening doesn't replace the hot water you used then. You may as well shut it down at noon.
Otherwise, one should set the thermostat at a fairly low temperature and keep it there. Some people think that keeping water temp really hot and then shutting the heater down daily works. That can also scald you or a child.
I'd suggest you contact a licensed plumber and have her explain the details.

Tomatohanger is absolutely right! Also, if you turn it off in the winter time, depending on where you live and where your water heater is located, it may be frozen in the morning! (Don't laugh, I live in southeastern NC and had that happen once!) The ONLY time I would advise turning it off (and this is a huge MAYBE) is if I'll be away on a trip for several weeks, and then ONLY in the SUMMER MONTHS! But I agree with Tomatohanger in that it's just as frugal, and lots safer too, to turn it down to 120° and leave it there.

We keep the water heater set at the temperature we like for showering. No wasted water trying to blend water to the right temperature. The only thing we need hot water for is the dishwasher and that automatically heats water to the correct temperature when needed. Ruth