Gold Nugget Loquat With Yellow Leaves

Question:

I have planted a new Gold Nugget Loquat tree (came in a 15 Gallon pot, about 5.5 ft tall), and after a month, leaves have randomly started turning yellow. I am not sure if this is due to excessive water or something else. Any comments will be appreciated. (See attached picture.)

Bani from Southern California

Answer:

Bani,

You mentioned that you were not sure, but your tree could be declining due to excessive water. From the picture you submitted, that would be my guess. Loquats are not tolerant of "flooded" soil conditions-they can decline quickly if overwatered-the lower leaves are usually the first to go. Have you experienced some rainy spring weather recently?

Loquat roots are fussy about standing in water, so make sure your container provides adequate drainage. I can't see the bottom of your container, but if you have it sitting in a tray or pan, make sure you dump out any excess water that collects in it after it rains or after you water. Approximately how old is your tree? (The nursery you bought it from should be able to tell you.) For the first 3 years, loquat trees should be watered once a week during dry periods (5 or more days of little to no rainfall). During rainy seasons, you need to reduce or stop watering them all together. At 4 years of age and older, water them only during periods when they are developing fruit, and during prolonged periods where they receive little or no rainfall. Let your tree dry out for 5-6 days before you water it next. It should bounce back fine.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Call the nursery you bought it from -- I'm sure they'll be able to help you !

I'm having the exact same problem! I live in San Diego and have a loquat just that size that I've had in a container for the past year. I put it in the ground about three weeks ago, and now it looks just like that. Please let me know if you figure out what it is.

I had heard that Loquat tree was very sensitive to excessive water in soil. I reduced the amount of water from the sprinkler and that seems to have helped, but leaves are still turning yellow, only at a slower rate.

I have had loquat trees for many years. The leaves start turning when you plant them because they go into shock. Just make sure that you give them plenty of water after transplanting. There is nothing wrong with the tree. I have one that is about 15 feet tall. When the fruit falls the seeds germinate and I plant them in containers. I give them to my friends and neighbors and they have the same luck with them that I do. I love these trees because they grow so fast and they draw birds into my yard! They also frost and drought tolerant!

Happy gardening to everyone :-)

Thank you Bani and Renee!

I didn't think it was transplant shock, because it didn't happen immediately, but it occurs to me that I was out of the B-1 I generally use when transplanting, and then we had a sudden heat wave for about three days. Right after that the leaves started turning, so perhaps it is just shock. I'll wait and see if it improves.

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthApril 1, 2008
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Loquat Tree
Growing a Loquat Tree
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
A shiny pile of gold chains, rings and other jewelry
Cleaning Gold Jewelry
🎄