Tomato Plants Leaves Turning Yellow

Category Plant Health
The leaves turning yellow on your tomato plants is not a good sign. Determining the cause can be confusing. This is a guide about tomato plants leaves turning yellow.

I am not sure if it's a disease or what? Not all my tomatoes' leaves are yellow. They are brown at the end of the leaves, too.

By ruby1 from Augusta, GA

Answers

Best Answer

You need some Epsom salts in it. On the package are instructions. Or google epsom salts. Have used this for years.

Also, clean up your bottom of the plants. They need air space. Good rule of thumb is nothing closer than 10 inches from the ground. Remove all plant materials. Both these suggestions also take care of bottom rot from tomatoes too.

OH, never splash water on your plants. They prefer being watered by laying the hose on the bottom dirt. Gentle flow rather than hurried spray. Rain water is different. That comes anyway and washes the plants. Hose water is not the same as rain water.

Best Answer

It is my belief that what you are describing is Tomato Blight.
It is a disease which can turn all the leaves yellow, then brown. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to affect the fruits. It's almost impossible, at least for me it was, to do anything like apply this or that and fix the issue.

Like someone else said, if its a pole variety, pull off all the lowest branches until you come to one with fruit. I like to keep my stalks bare up to a foot from the ground. That usually takes most of the brown leaves off. Water Tomatoes regularly, they don't like overwatering or underwatering. But a good deep watering once a week, followed by regularly checking the dryness of the soil, there is no one set formula.

Sometimes its windy, the plant uses more water, sometimes its hot and more water evaporates than gets to the plant. The variables are there so check your tomatoes daily and if they need water, give them some. regular correct watering fixes almost every problem in Tomatoes. Next year be sure to plant them in a different location, and also consider buying a blight resistant seed, because,

I find, that once you have blight, you always have blight. I switched to blight resistant seed and have noo issues for the past 2 years.

What would make my tomato plants leaves turn yellow? I am growing them in a Topsy Turvy Tree. I don't even have any tomatoes on them yet.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By JEAN from Portland, OR

Answers

Best Answer

Usually when tomato leaves turn yellow the plant needs a few drops of vinegar in the water before watering. Good luck with your tomatoes. Windgate

My hanging tomatoes are looking good, but some of the leaves are yellowing. What am I doing wrong?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By Gini from Carmel, CA

Answers

Over watering.

We are having problems with the leaves turning yellow on our tomato plants. I just added cow manure to the plants today. Is this okay to do, and will it help?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Lonnie Gudger from Greeneville, TN

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Add 1 T of Epsom salt to 1 gallon water for each watering. The magnesium will help green them up. You can also add 1 T all purpose fertilizer. If you add 1 T powdered milk as well, it will help prevent blossom end rot. (07/27/2010)

By Linda

I purchased a Roma tomato plant that is about 12 inches high. It had thick, green foliage Memorial Day weekend. It is on my deck and now some of the leaves are turning yellow and brown and curling, mostly on the bottom. It looks like they are dying in places.

My daughter and neighbor said it is getting too much water. We have had quite a rainy season, but I am wondering if it is something else. I moved it to my front porch and it was even worse. I watered it and it looks better. It perked it up, but do I break off stems or leaves? It has been really hot also.

It does have blossoms and the tomatoes are also coming on. Any suggestions?

By Beverly from Kewanee, IL

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Maybe it's root bound and needs a bigger pot. (06/29/2010)

By judy oliver

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Are you feeding it? Tomato plants need feeding once a week when the flowers appear and need to be well watered. Take off any side shoots that don't have flowers on them as these take all the goodness from the flower shoots. They also need sun to ripen them. (06/30/2010)

By jan nash

Why do my tomato plants leaves turn yellow?

By weston kittinger from Palmdale, CA

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

You should try crushed egg shells around the plant! The calcium soaks in and helps the tomato plant. (06/16/2009)

By kayla

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

I've read that the reason they turn yellow is because the soil doesn't have enough nitrogen which is what makes the plant green.

If you use some good fertilizer on it like Miracle Gro that should fix it. Hope this helps. (06/17/2009)

By jessica

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Get Epsom salts, I read that it is a magnesium deficiency. I followed the directions on the back of the bag and the leaves have quit turning yellow. (06/17/2009)

By Kathleen Shanahan

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

It depends upon how they are turning yellow. See this page for excellent information on common problems and their solutions:

ext.colostate.edu By n8d06

What would make my tomato plant's leaves turn yellow?

I have a small greenhouse that I start over 400 tomato plants in for sale. This spring we have had some pretty nasty weather and some warm days too.

Has anyone had any problems with tomato leaves turning yellowish-brown and dying? Its growth seems to be stunted too. Thanks for any help.

My problem is that our tomato leaves are turning yellowish brown around the edges. Also on some of them the tops have died out. They are not looking like they are going to survive. What is causing this and what can I do about it?

Can someone tell me why some of the leaves are turning yellow on my patio tomato plant?

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants turning yellow and the flowers will not set?

What causes yellow leaves on tomato plants?

I have trouble every year with the leaves turning yellow on my plants. This is even before the tomatoes grow or turn red.