Tomato Plant Help

Category Plant Health
Growing tomatoes is a rewarding gardening experience. While fairly easy to grow, they can suffer from several maladies or care issues. This guide contains tomato plant help information.

Black leaves are a sign of infection and the tomato plant needs to be treated immediately to prevent blighted fruit. This is a guide about tomato plant leaves turning black.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about black spots on tomato plant leaves. Several plant diseases can cause spots on your tomato plant's leaves. Determining the cause can help you begin treatment.

This is a guide about curling tomato leaves. There are several reason the leaves on your tomato plants may be curling.

This is a guide about dealing with blossom end rot on tomatoes. Blossom end rot is a common problem found in the garden on tomatoes and other garden produce.

It is a sign of a calcium imbalance within the plant.

This is a guide about tomato plants leaves turning yellow. The leaves turning yellow on your tomato plants is not a good sign. Determining the cause can be confusing.

I had a very tall tomato plant and when I transplanted it outside, about 9 inches of the top broke off. Will it recover and grow, or should I just get another one?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By orugun1 from Portland, OR

Answers

Best Answer

If you have room you might want to plant another also, but I'd leave the broken one alone. It should be fine. Only if you haven't recently fertilized I would give it a little fertilizer. I prefer organic, or epsom salt, tomato plants like magnesium (scratch a circle in the soil around the plant, sprinkle it in, then water at the base).

Tomato plants are usually very tough and grow easily, very easily. I have been giving buckets of tomato plants away (volunteers from last years crop) on freecycle.com in my area. You might have one in your area also. It's a great place to rid, receive and at times even surprised relationships. It's a place where you post a wanted: Tomato plant, then see who responds. It's amazing the free help you can receive, and give.

Best Answer

Your plant will be fine unless it was damaged lower down, like at the base of the plant, as tomatoes are very tough. If you still have the top, put it in a couple inches of water for a day or two, then put it about 4 or 5 inches deep in good soil , and see if you can generate a new plant. I have done that, and also started late season plants from the "suckers" that come between the main stalk and a leaf branch.

This is not the piece that is coming out and flowering, but coming out right at the same place that the leaf stalk came out. They suck energy from the plant that is already blooming, and will most likely grow and yield a later crop of tomatoes. Give it a try.

I have some tomato plants on my deck in containers. I had a beautiful yellow tomato plant, on a tomato that looked ready to be picked there was a large brown spot on the bottom that looked like the tomato had been burned, it was also a deep spot. I cut the tomato to see if there were any bugs inside and there was none, what is causing this?

Kelly Schultz

Answers:

Tomato Plant Help

I am not sure what the problem is. Is it possible that you have over watered them? Look and see whether you have any sort of spotting on the leaves. It might appear on the under side of the leaves. That would indicate some sort of pest. Another possibility is that (and this would probably only be the case if your plants aren't properly staked) that the fruit was laying on or close to the ground (and this frequently happened to me when I planted plants in the ground), and that the area that was laying close to or on the ground rotted from the moisture.

I would keep an eye on the plants for a while, and see if any of the other fruits are suffering from this. I try not to water my plants too frequently, but then again, when you are growing them in containers, the containers tend not to hold the moisture as well as the ground. You might try some slow acting plant food that's specifically aimed at tomatoes, preferably something organic. I would avoid using any kind of pesticide or insecticide until I was sure I knew exactly what the problem is. If it turns out that you do need one, look for something called B.T. or Bacilis Thuriengis. It is a completely organic and safe product, and you will be able to use it without having to worry about whether the tomatoes are safe to eat.

Make sure that they are getting plenty of sun, and are getting enough, but not too much water, and look for anything that looks suspicious on the undersides of the leaves. If you see something and are unsure about what kind of pest or insect you are dealing with, take one of the leaves off, and take it to a garden center with you, so that you can show someone there what you have. They ought to know what to recommend. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. (06/24/2005)

By Susan K. Beal

Tomato Plant Help

It sounds like you have what is called blossom end rot. Usually caused by not watering consistently. It looks bad but you can cut that part off and the rest is fine to eat. (06/25/2005)

Tomato Plant Help

Hi. Years ago, when I first started container gardening, I had the same problem with my tomato plants. Looked it up in a book I had and it was called blossom end rot. It usually happens just in container pots. It is simple to fix, just take lime, you can get it at any nursery or home store in the garden department and sprinkle it over the dirt and then water so that it soaks in. It will stop the spots on new tomatoes coming in. Hope this helps. (06/26/2005)

By Roseanna

Tomato Plant Help

It is Blossom End Rot. Your soil is deficient in calcium/lime. You can add lime to your soil or try soaking egg shells in water and using this water for your tomato plants. This happens in gardens as well. Make sure you have a regular watering schedule so your plants aren't too wet or dry. As for a tomato with lots of blossoms and few tomatoes, try using a product called Blossom Set. Tomatoes won't produce fruit if it is below 65 at night or above 95 during the day, unless they are breed to such as Early Girl for cold nights, and most heirloom tomatoes such as Mortgage Lifter and Brandy wine for hot days.

And don't mess with tomatoes if you smoke because there is a disease that can be transmitted to tomatoes from the tobacco. Also, don't mess with wet plants. This too will spread mold, fungus and bacteria spores which cause spots on the leaves and fruit. Check out www.gardensalive.com for safe products to help with tomato problems. (10/22/2007)

By Viki

Tomato Plant Help

(Posted via email)

I grew a tomato plant on my balcony and have kept it alive all winter inside, in hopes of keeping it growing next year. A friend said it won't produce next season. Am I wasting my time?

Lisa (01/22/2009)

By Sally

Tomato Plant Help

For Lisa,

The plants will produce again! I have kept some plants alive for 3 or 4 years and get fruit every year from them. If it is a plant that is really a great producer, you can also let the suckers grow and just before the end of the season clip the suckers and root them in some water then transplant to dirt for the coming season.

Use a tea made of chamomile soaked in some boiling water to water the dirt, to help prevent dampening off while waiting to plant them outside. (08/26/2009)

By Virginia