Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

With all the purses snatched each year from grocery carts, here is a hint. You know the straps used to hold in children, use them to hold your purse in, so they have to take the buggy too instead of just your purse. Maybe you can catch the thief, call 911, and have them arrested.

By Mary from Bay Minette, AL

And if you have children to put in there, Buy some grampons, (?) those metal clipons which climbers use. I keep a couple on or in my purse and I just clip my purse to the cart. Works well. Have even clipped the purse to me and the cart so someone can't grab the cart away from me either.

Dee

Don't let you purse out of your site period. I always keep mine zipped up too. If I need to move away from the cart. I take my bag with me.

I always keep mine on my shoulder no matter where I shop. I never stick it in the cart. don't want to chase some down. I buy purses that have straps long enough to fit over my shoulder.

I have done this for years too. The kids call it "Mama's amti-theft device." Hopefully it makes a thief think twice.

I have done this for too many years to mention, and got teased for being "paranoid", well like you I work hard for my $$$. If someone tries to take it they will have to work for it! Good idea as others will do this too.

February 10, 2011 Flag

I read this tip on another forum, and was so impressed with it that I wanted to share it here. The tip is: When you go shopping in a store that has carts, at supermarkets, Walmart, Target, etc., wrap the child safety belt around one handle of your purse and fasten the ends together. Then if someone tries to take your purse when your back is turned, it will at least slow them down and maybe give you a chance to stop them!

By Catherine from Orlando

Answers:

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

This is a good idea which I always do, but also keep your hand on the cart when you turn your back, as anyone could grab your cart and leave another without you seeing it right away. This just happened to me last week. Some lady not paying attention, turned around and grabbed my cart by mistake. Only took seconds for her to see my hand was hanging onto it. Would-be thieves are fast and would be gone in a flash especially if the store is crowded. (07/21/2006)

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

Yes, I always do this too. (07/21/2006)

By sandy63

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

This is a GREAT idea! I have been doing it for years even though my husband and other family members laugh at me. When my children were young enough to ride in the baby seat, I buckled child and purse in together. (07/21/2006)

By buffalogal95

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

That is a fantastic idea. I have been hooking my purse into the child strap for years. Let's see the thieves try to take the shopping cart too! (07/22/2006)

By Karly

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

I work in one of those "Big Box Stores" and there has only been one purse snatching in the year I've been there. Even so, a better idea is just to hang your purse over your shoulder. Or lock it in your trunk and only bring in your wallet and coupon organizer. What disturbs me is how many people strap their child into the cart and then walk away. Whether just feet away or several aisles, don't people worry about their children being taken? (07/22/2006)

By thriftyboo

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

Thanks for sharing. The funny part of my story is I was shopping in Wal mart with my purse sitting in the front and a Walmart worker came over and did my purse up for me and told me it was safer than to be sorry. Boy, they can be helpful sometimes. Take care. (07/23/2006)

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

I have been hooking my purse for quite some time also. Just remember to close it shut! My purse has three compartments and it would be easy for someone to get my billfold out of it if it wasn't snapped/closed up. (07/23/2006)

By Manell

Hooking Your Purse to the Cart

I have been doing this as well. It came to me one time I was shopping. But it pays to keep the compartments zippered which I find myself not always doing. Shame on me! (07/24/2006)

By keligator

Man Trying to Steal Woman's Purse
Purse Safety Tips
Better Living Safety PersonalFebruary 10, 2011
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Durable Shopping Cart
Looking for Durable Shopping Cart
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse
🎄