Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Pumpkin Substitution

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I used only half a can of pumpkin when making a mousse for Thanksgiving dessert, and the pumpkin bread recipe needed a full can. No more pumpkin in the house, what to do? I substituted mashed yams for 1/2 the pumpkin, the bread came out perfectly!

By Linda from Vista, CA

By

By Coreen Hart 78 376 12/01/2006 Flag

Hi, Linda,
It only takes 1 cup of pumpkin to make a pie. Or stir it into quick bread or a meat loaf. Adds lots of moisture and only a little flavor. Or make pumpkin candy by stirring and then kneading in powdered sugar until it's nice and stiff, and let it dry. Good luck! --- Coreen

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marian Hillyer 9 27 12/01/2006 Flag

I have a great recipe for pumpkin muffins. On occasion I`ve substituted sweet potatoes, squash(various types) apple sauce and even cooked, mashed carrots...never had a failure and the taste is great~

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 12/02/2006 Flag

Here in the South, we commonly eat sweet potato pie. It's made exactly the same as pumpkin, but cooked and mashed sweet potatoes are used. Only the especially gifted can tell them apart.

And yes, pumpkin is a squash and it can be interchanged with any other type of squash in such a recipe. People get so lost when baking that they forget that recipes are not written in stone. I've created many of our family favorites by switching recipe ingredients.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By eve 18 136 12/10/2009 Flag

I made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and substituted half the pumpkin with Persimmon Puree. My DH said it was the best he had ever ate. It was much lighter in flavor and he really liked it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By eve 18 136 12/10/2009 Flag

I sure would like the recipe for the pumpkin candy or was those two ingredients all I need. I might try this with some of my persimmon puree. I usually drain it in a colander before I use it in a recipe, so this might work. I'll let you know.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Post a Comment