Cleaning the Window of a Wood Fireplace

How do you clean the soot off the window of a wood fireplace?

Louise from Nipawin, SK, Canada

Best Answer

For years I have been cleaning my fireplace glass with "Bon Ami" and have no scratches after many years. Just warm water, Bon Ami, and a little elbow grease!

Best Answer

All I use is the Magic Eraser... no chemicals or cleaners needed :) This also works for soap scum on shower doors!

Best Answer

At Linens-N-Things I found "Ceramic Glass Appliance Cleaner" - I think it's supposed to be fore ceramic cook tops. It's $3.99 for a bottle and works like a dream w/ just a paper towel. I've also actually used a straight edge razor if it's caked on really badly and nothing works.

Best Answer

This is how I did it for years. Crumple a page or two of newspaper. Run some water over it while holding it under the faucet - keeping some of it dry. Dab the wet newspaper in the ashes and rub it on the glass. Repeating until the glass is clear enough to wipe it up with glass cleaner.

I've used a combination of vinegar, ammonia, and water sprayed on and left for several minutes, sprayed again and then use clean paper towels to wipe. If that doesn't work, use oven cleaner, being VERY careful NOT to get any on brass or metal on the doors. It will take the finish off the metal also. After removing the oven cleaner and rinsing carefully, use window cleaner to make it sparkle.

You can clean soot off the candle jars with a used clothing dryer sheet. Why not try it on the fireplace glass?

I use damped (with plain water) paper towels (actually several layers of damp paper towels if the glass is hot) dip the damp paper towels into wood ashes and scrub the glass.Clean white residue streaks with a clean damp paper towel. I know it sounds crazy but its cheap and it works. It does work better though if the glass is fairly hot when you clean it, but be careful not to burn yourself with steam from the wet paper towel. It also is helpful to lay down newspaper or something under the door (my glass is in a woodburner door) to catch any dirt that drops.

Glass Doors on Wood Stove
Cleaning Glass Doors on a Wood Stove
Home and Garden Cleaning GlassJanuary 6, 2007
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Chopping Wood, Axe in Wood Log
Chopping Wood
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
🎄