Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

What can I do about my vertical blinds? I have my own place (yay), but my office has these awful vertical blinds! I'm allowed to take them down since I own the place, but the window is 79 inches across and 50 inches long and I have no clue how I would cover that up! They stick out 4 inches from the wall and I have no clue how I'd put curtains up over them, but I'd still like to! I'd appreciate any tips and tricks!

Please be sure to be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Venetian blinds don't stick out from the wall like vertical blinds do. Change the blind type and you can use an elaborate/decorative curtain rod with drapes, curtains or swags.

I've used the decorative brackets that mount to the wall and the rod rests in. you can get them in many price ranges and depending in the height of your window, you can even use flat sheets which you can sew (or glue) a border or ribbon on as the curtains. here's a link to a site with good photos, but you can find the brackets in many places. You can also buy cheap inexpensive fabric by the yard and just put in a whip stitch hem if the windows are really high. The brackets should give you the leeway to go past the awful blinds.

I also have vertical blinds. There are special rods that jet out another two to four inches further than the blind brackets do and you simply hang them just above the existing window blind brackets. I found my curtain rod (twelve foot expandable because I have double sliding glass doors) at Penney's.

Oh, I want to add one more thing. Definitely keep those verticals! They greatly help save energy by closing them when it's extremely cold or hot out.

If you're going to take the vertical blinds down you can replace them with flat sheets. All you'll have to do is sew a hem in them deep enough for the curtain rod to slip through. I buy all mine from Walmart (as they are the ONLY place in my hometown that sells the flat and fitted sheets separately). They come in different width and length sizes. I've used sheets for all the windows in my home (including the patio door windows). Easy to clean (just throw them in the washer), dry and re-hang. Also, as we all know, the bottom fitted sheet of a sheet set always wears out sooner then the top flat sheet. That's why I always buy mine from Walmart because you don't always need the whole set. Just wish other stores would do the same.

April 3, 2011 Flag

I live in an apartment with vertical blinds that I'm not allowed to remove. Any ideas on how to hang curtains in front of them since the blinds stick out so far from the wall?

By Danielle from IA

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

1. Measure your window. Measure the width, and then the length.

2. Choose curtains that are full length, and lined. Purchase curtains that are about 3 inches longer than your door. Thus, if your door is 72 inches long, then 75 inch long curtains is what you will need.

3. Purchase a curtain rod, about 2 inches longer than the width of your door. Thus, if your window is 50 inches wide, your curtain rod needs to be 52 inches long.

4. Purchase curtain rings, with clips, to match your curtain rods. You will need at least a dozen, depending upon the size of your window and the style curtain you have.

5. Measure again, and place a mark about 4 inches above and 2 inches outside the top corners of your blinds, on each end. Screw your curtain rod supports into the wall at each mark.

6. Place the center support for the curtain rod in the center of the window, also about 4 inches above the vertical blind.

7. Clip the rings to the top of the curtain, at equal intervals. Slide the rings onto the curtain rod.

8. Set the curtain rod on top of the supports and adjust the curtain.

Good luck. (12/22/2009)

By kffrmw88

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

If your vertical blinds stick as far out as the ones on my patio door, the standard curtain rod brackets won't stick out far enough. The vertical blinds in the bedrooms are mounted inside the window frames. Here if I buy a curtain rod and drapes the maintenance man can take the vertical blinds out and put the other rod up for me, but when I got to pricing stuff for a patio door, I decided to put up with the vertical blinds. (12/22/2009)

By redhatterb

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

You could buy a ceiling mount curtain rod (they sell them at J C Penney's) and then you would have drapes that hang from the ceiling to the floor. (12/23/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

I have a patio room in our house and our windows have the honeycomb blinds. When the blinds are up we have no privacy. I found a web site that sells tension rods for half the price of what the stores sell them for since I needed 15 tension rods. I put the lace curtains on the rods and put the rods behind the blinds. The blinds still go up and down with no problem and now we have our privacy. Go to www.curtainandbathoutlet.com. for some great prices. (12/27/2009)

By sabrinadog

Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating CurtainsApril 3, 2011
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
Canvas Blinds
Cleaning Canvas Blinds
Cleaning mini blinds square
Cleaning Mini Blinds
Vertical Blinds
Changing the Color of Vertical Blinds