Winterizing Your Steel Doors

It's a little late in the season for this one, but will be good for next winter. If you live in a manufactured home or trailer, most or all of them have steel entry doors. I have found that by using a magnetic curtain rod and hanging an insulated drapery panel on the inside of the door in the winter, cuts down on a lot of cold coming off the door.

By Jean from Charlevoix, MI

wow does that really work? i live in a condo and we have steel doors also.

That's a great idea. In my mobile home I have a curtain hung on my door with magnets. I also posted a tip (which they have yet to use) about using these metal doors as magnetic bulletin boards for posting notes. You can't forget something if you stick it up on your door! Works for grocery lists, & all kinds of things I need to remind myself of, like "pay the phone bill". I saw on TV that they're using metal doors in most new construction because of the lower cost.

* On my back door I hung up a sheet of hard foam board insulation (from home depot $4) It not only cuts down on heating costs, It makes a great place for me to pin up my sewing & craft ideas. I used magnetic (dollar store) clips to hang it from. --->SEE! Mobile homes ARE good for something! ...and they call us "trailer trash"! <*grin*>

I have steel doors in my town home, and could'nt believe the cold that came off the doors. I was thumb tacking comforters over the doors. but had to take them down everytime I open them. This idea is perfect. I will try it this winter.

Why couldn't this same principle work for heat and a/c? Now where are these magnetic curtain rods at? Thanks.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WeatherizingApril 4, 2008
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
Man Winterizing His House
Winterizing Your House
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush