What Bird Chirps At Night?

What bird chirps at night?

Hardiness Zone: 11

Beth from Long Beach

I did a search for "nocturnal chirping california" and I found the following:

Could you have a gecko in the house? If so, let it stay there! In Hawaii, geckos are considered lucky -- and they prey on icky bugs that get into the home.

Are you near a body of water or marsh?

There is always the ever present cricket. Or perhaps someone's domesticated bird got loose?

Your best bet would be to call or visit the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Does it just chirp or warble several different songs? Many species chirp at night, usually young birds. Unfortunately, if it's the latter it may be a mockingbird. The males sing at night, very loud, and imitate the songs of many other species in an attempt to win a mate. I swear that the same one has followed me all over the country for decades, usually perching in a tree just outside my bedroom window. He'll keep it up until he finds his lady and once the nest is full, he'll attack anything or anyone to keep the babies safe.

The bird that comes to my mind even though it is not a chirp, but I love to hear is the Whippoorwill. He calls late at night in late spring and early summer. A mournful cry that sounds like his name..Whip-poor-will Whip-poor-will in the dark of night.

And speaking of birds, I saw my first hummingbird of the season last Friday, and put out my feeders. I have seen at least 3 of them at the feeders this week.

Harlean from Arkansas

It's a Northern Mocking Bird. The males sing all night to find a mate or to let others know it's his territory. They've been known to mock 36 other species of birds, hence the name "mockingbird." You'll notice that he sings several different songs. It drives me nuts all night. Hahaha I wish the one outside my window would find a mate!

moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Making a Date Night Jar
Making a Date Night Jar
sleeping boxer
Dog Won't Sleep Through the Night