Laz'rus (Shetland Sheepdog)

Laz'rus is 3 years old and a Shetland Sheepdog. For Christmas 2005, my mother in law gave our other pups a gift card to Petco as a present. In April, my husband and I went to the store and there was a rescue there, and this beautiful Sheltie was up for adoption. He was abused his whole life, short chained to a tree, thrown in the basement, dragged up to be chained outside again. The owner's sister would be yelled at if she tried to pet or play with the dog (Bear was his name then) when she would visit. She was told that this dog was not allowed to play. The sister was a foster mom for a dog rescue and after almost 2 years, she convinced him to sign the dog over.

We met him in the store on a Saturday, he visited our babies in our home on Sunday and stayed with us for a week, a sort of "test drive". At the end of that week, Laz'rus became a member of our family. We changed his name for 3 reasons: my husband's family always has a dog named Bear (if one Bear passes away, they'll name a next one Bear), and we didn't want him to recall his abusive past when hearing the name "Bear", and since we were giving him a second chance at life, we named him Laz'rus.

For fun, he jumps around and races around with his sisters. He loves to sleep in twisted positions, like a pretzel, and be carried to bed by his Daddy. And he's crazy about travel and camping!

As coincidence would have it, Laz'rus shares his birthday with my husband!

By Amy from Northern Virginia

Beautiful Sheltie! Glad he found you and you found him. :)

He's beautiful. I'm so glad he's found his forever home with such a wonderful family. He looks very happy. I have a Puppymill person. Candie spent 3 1/2 years of her life in a wire crate having puppies. She's been free since Sept 2006 and she's a wonderful, happy bichon frise who lovesd to blitz and tear paper.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people have animals if they are going to abuse them. What is the point? He is such a beautiful dog. I am partial to Shelties anyway since I own one! So glad he found a loving home!

What a beautiful dog; I'm so glad you guys found each other. And I really LOVE the name & its meaning, as well. May you all have many, many years of happiness together.

what a beautiful story!! I cried when I read about his abuse. I would love to kill anyone who abuses animals. They are such sweet loyal animals. I hope you have a happy life together.

Thank you for giving this beautiful, sweet dog a new life! High paws from our pooch, Kato the Wonder Dog!

awwwwwwwwwww what a wonderful thing you have done! We are very glad you gave Laz a happy life! He is very handsome too! God bless you all!

I have had 2 Shelties in the past. They are the BEST dogs. I have a terminally ill Lhasa now and when she goes, I will get another Sheltie!

That is a horrible story with a wonderful ending! Thank you so much for rescuing Laz'rus - he truly did have a "return to life from death" experience. I have two rescued dogs of my own and am foster mom to another rescued dog. I soon will be foster mom to 2 rescued dogs! Thanks again for sharing your story, and God bless you.

I just know he appreciates you!

He's SO CUTE! I am glad he was saved and taken in by a good and loving home. It just tears my heart apart to be reminded there are such cruel nasty people out there, and stories of rescue help to restore my faith that there are good people out there, too. Bless you for giving him a second chance to be a good dog!

What a wonderful looking animal - Folks who abuse ANY animal/s SHOULD be abused in the same way they abuse them. I am so happy for you and for Lazurus to have finally a piece of heaven here on earth with loving human care givers. I am sure God is smiling about this now too!

Laz'rus ,you are wonderful and you found the best family for your now happy life.We have been family to many dogs who needed love and attention and some were in such sad shape.Love and care makes a big difference in their lives.Thank you for finding each other.

Shetland Sheepdog
Shetland Sheepdog Breed Information and Photos
Pets Pet PagesJanuary 21, 2008
🎄