Shetland Sheepdog Breed Information and Photos

Category Sheltie
Known for their skilled livestock herding, these dogs are very smart and make great family pets. This guide contains Shetland sheepdog breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Sheltie is a small, long-haired working dog that resembles a Rough Collie in appearance. They are skilled at herding livestock and have a natural willingness to obey. Shelties are highly intelligent and excel at obedience and agility trials. They are extremely responsive and have been described as almost being able to read their owners minds. This breed is loyal and sensitive and makes a good family pet.

Group: Herding Group

Purpose of Breed: Herding Sheep

Country of Origin: Great Britain

Average Size: Ranges from 13 inches to 16 inches and 14-16 pounds.

Color(s): Black, blue merle, sable, black and white, black and tan, tri-colors.

Coat Type: A long, straight, harsh outer coat and a short, dense, furry undercoat.

Grooming: The thick coat of the Sheltie should be groomed at least twice weekly to help keep it in top form. This breed requires standard care for eyes, pads and nails. Ears should be examined and cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Shelties will adapt to any living environment, but need a fair amount of daily exercise to stimulate their quick minds and maintain physical health.

Temperament: Shelties are born with a desire to please and are very responsive to training. They are loving and affectionate with their family members and show a natural wariness toward strangers. They like to keep themselves neat and clean and seem to be endowed with a remarkable sense of intelligence and understanding. Loyal and protective, shelties tend to bark an alarm when they deem it necessary and are happiest only when treated like an equal member of the family.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to epilepsy, dermatomysostitis, thyroid problems and diseases of the eyes.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-14 years.

Trivia: The Shetland Sheepdog, as its name implies, is essentially a working Collie in miniature. The Sheltie, however, is not a miniature collie. Although is resembles a Collie, it is its own distinct breed that originated on the Shetland Islands, off the northeast coast of Scotland.

More Information: Shetland Sheepdog Association

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Holly is a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) shown at 10 months old. Holly was a gift from my husband. Holly enjoys following me outside, but her favorite sport is chasing a laser light "Dot" across the floor!

By Sheltie Mom from Eastern Shore of Maryland

Holly (Shetland Sheepdog)

Comment Like this photo? 12

My beautiful Rusty lived to be 12 years old before cancer took him. He was a wonderful family pet who loved people. This photo of him peeking out from around the Rhododendron shrub was one of my favourites, this is in memory of him.

He was a Sheltie. I bought "A Little Rusty" from a breeder when he was a tiny pup. He use to love playing 'chase'.

By Linn

In Memory of Rusty (Sheltie)

Comment Like this photo? 17

Autumn was born on August 19th, 2008. She is a Shetland Sheepdog. I found a breeder with a litter of Shelties that were ready to go on my daughter's 4th birthday. There were 6 of them to choose from, and it was quite difficult! Autumn was the smallest and loved playing with my daughter, so she was the one!

She loves grabbing our Shih Tzu, Shelby, by the tail and running around the house with her (it is the only way she can keep up!). Autumn is extra special for me. We brought her home on the one year anniversary of the passing of our former Sheltie, Pearl. As Autumn grows, she looks more and more like Pearl every day. I like to think that she sent this little angel to me.

By Stacey from Dorr, MI

Autumn (Shetland Sheepdog)

Comment Like this photo? 1

Ellee is a 2 year old Sheltie. I got her in February of 2009. She likes to bark and tackle the kids to the ground. Ellee thinks I need to be out of bed at 6:30 AM every day. She comes in my room, circling the bed whining.

By mama22 from WV

Ellee the Sheltie Laying in Front of Wooden Background

Comment Like this photo? 10

Our Sheltie, Sheena decided she was the guard dog and needed a post to watch from. Really she would have run if someone would have said BOO to her, LOL.

By Sandy

Sheena (Sheltie)

Comment Like this photo? 12

Spencer was a 12 year old Sheltie. I got him 12 years ago when he was 5 weeks old. He liked to eat. He was unique with one brown eye and one blue eye and has a beautiful coat of hair.

He had to be put down yesterday because of heart problems. His back legs gave out and he could not stand anymore. Can you see a tear on here? I have shed a bunch.

By Elaine from Iowa

In Memory Of Spencer (Sheltie)

Comment Like this photo? 4

Laz'rus is 3 years old and a Shetland Sheepdog. For Christmas 2005, my mother in law gave our other pups a gift card to Petco as a present.

Laz'rus (Shetland Sheepdog)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Ellie is a 3 year old Sheltie. We have had Ellie since she was 8 weeks old. Ellie loves playing with the kids.

Closeup of Ellie the Sheltie.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Patty and Creede are Shetland Sheepdogs, both are 4 years old. I got them when they were babies. They love to chase balls!

Patty and Creede (Shetland Sheepdogs)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Killian "Heaven Sent" (Shetland Sheepdog) Photo. His AKC name is "Heaven Sent". He will be 2 years old on October 4th. Killian is a purebred Shetland Sheepdog also known as a Sheltie. . .

Killian (Shetland Sheepdog)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is our dog Chewy, named for Star Wars' Chewbacca. He is a Shetland Sheepdog with one blue and one brown eye, he just turned 6 years old on June 20th and we've had him since he was 7 weeks old!

Chewbacca (Shetland Sheepdog)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Killian is a 2 year old Sheltie (Shetland Sheep Dog.) I got him from a friend who breeds Shelties when he was 4 months old.

Killian (Sheltie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

In Memory of Taffy (Sheltie) Photo. We lost Taffy when she was 13 years old from a rare muscle disease. She will always live in our hearts, though. I still get teary eyed when I talk about her. She was a Sheltie. We got Taffy from a breeder when she was 6 weeks old.

In Memory of Taffy (Sheltie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Roxy is a 4 year old 100% Shetland Sheepdog (Shelty)

Roxy (Shetland Sheepdog)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is our dog Sassie, she is 10 years old, we have had her since she was a puppy. She is a Miniature Collie (Sheltie) and we bought her from a breeder.

Sassie (Sheltie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Tole is a 16 year old Sheltie. Tole was a rescue dog from Nevada. We brought him to Wisconsin and now he's the perfect pal and a total snowdog!

Tole (Sheltie)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes