American Shorthair Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
The American Shorthair breed can be traced back to its arrival on the Mayflower. This old breed makes a good pet, but can also be fine living more independently. This is a page about American Shorthair breed information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Cabbit is an 8 year old solid white American Shorthair cat. In April 2001, I found him on the side of the road where there were no other cats or houses around. He looked to be about 3 or 4 weeks old (very small.)

I brought him home and he nursed a momma cat who had just gave birth to only one kitten. She took Cabbit in as her own. I kept him and he has been the best cat ever.

He fetches! He carries around a stretchy rubber frog and stares at you until you throw it for him. When he's tired of fetching he hides the frog under a doormat or furniture. He doesn't meow, instead he makes a chirping sound like "aaah aaah".

By Amber H from Georgia, USA

Cabbit, a white cat sitting outside.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 23

Your Pet's Age
6 years

Your Pet's Breed
American Short Hair Tabby

How and when did you get your pet?
After my previous kitty passed, my husband told me as a cat lover it was my responsibility to go out and give another one a good home. We went to a no kill cat sanctuary and found Jonesy and his brother and after a week of visits, ended up taking home 2 cats. ^_^

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes to chase invisible objects, sing songs of his people at 1am, and loves my hair ties as toys.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He is quick to befriend and enjoys sleeping on people. He's a big talker, but loves TV time too. He has an air of regalness about him and he knows it.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Oreo is a 9 year old American Shorthaired cat. I fostered him in September 14, 2001 with his mother and 2 brothers and a sister, I adopted Oreo in February 14, 2002.

Oreo (American Shorthair Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Boris is 1 year old and an American Shorthair (pedigree breed). He likes catnip toys, balls, kitty teasers, and sitting in the front window or in/at the patio door watching leaves, chipmunks, birds, and what ever else may happen to go across his view.

He is a Red-Silver Spotted Tabby.

A red - silver American Shorthair spotted tabby. kitten

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Tom is a 3 month old American Shorthair cat. These are some babies I got from freecycle.org. They needed a good home.

Tom the Cat Laying Down

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

Sweety is a 4 year old domestic shorthair. We got Sweety in late spring of 2007 when she was about 12 weeks old.

Sweety the Cat looking at the Camera

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Poole is 5 1/2 years young. He followed me into my house. He is a cat, anything that serves his own pleasures will suffice.

Poole (American Shorthair)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Oreo is a 10 year old American Shorthair. I adopted Oreo back in 2001 from Cleveland, Ohio APL. He loves to run, climb, jump, meow loudly, and catch his bird noise maker.

If I throw it towards him, he brings it back to me.

A black and white cat in front of a computer.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Sweety is 3. She is an American Shorthair. I adopted her. She likes to play with twist ties and her scratching tree. She's crazy and lovable and naughty.

Sweety (American Shorthair)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Jeremiah is 1 year old and a Black American Shorthair cat. Jerry was a drop-off of sorts. He needed a home, and we had the space.

He was just a tiny kitten, and he was no bigger than the palm of your hand when I first saw him. My, how he has grown!

Jeremiah (Black American Shorthair Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

We decided we wanted a new addition to our family, and we fell in love with these two who were in a foster home together. Since they are brothers, we didn't want to separate them, so we decided to adopt them both when they were about 4 months old. They have provided comfort and laughter to us ever since.

Sarge and Chase (Domestic American Shorthair) - lying on their backs in the middle of play

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

She is one of our little fosters that ended up staying.

Cat on keyboard.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Sweet Pea is a 5 year old American Shorthair. He was dumped in the woods near our house, and he found us.

Sweet Pea (American Shorthair)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

We always have kittens who need homes around our house and a good many of them stay here over a year before they find that perfect forever home. Whiskers, aka Whiskey, is under a year old and very quiet and shy. She is a little girl kitten.

Whiskey (American Shorthair)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

Little Boy is 4 years old and an American Shorthair. He was found orphaned at 2 weeks behind our barn. My husband found 2 little kittens while he was weed whacking.

Little Boy (American Shorthair)

Comment Like this photo? Yes
Load More

Pets Cats Cat BreedsAugust 26, 2013
🐛
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/American-Shorthair-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html