American Shorthair Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
The American Shorthair breed can be traced back to its arrival on the Mayflower. This old breed makes a good pet, but can also be fine living more independently. This is a guide about American Shorthair breed information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Cabbit is an 8 year old solid white American Shorthair cat. In April 2001, I found him on the side of the road where there were no other cats or houses around. He looked to be about 3 or 4 weeks old (very small.)

I brought him home and he nursed a momma cat who had just gave birth to only one kitten. She took Cabbit in as her own. I kept him and he has been the best cat ever.

He fetches! He carries around a stretchy rubber frog and stares at you until you throw it for him. When he's tired of fetching he hides the frog under a doormat or furniture. He doesn't meow, instead he makes a chirping sound like "aaah aaah".

By Amber H from Georgia, USA

Cabbit, a white cat sitting outside.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 23

Your Pet's Age
6 years

Your Pet's Breed
American Short Hair Tabby

How and when did you get your pet?
After my previous kitty passed, my husband told me as a cat lover it was my responsibility to go out and give another one a good home. We went to a no kill cat sanctuary and found Jonesy and his brother and after a week of visits, ended up taking home 2 cats. ^_^

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes to chase invisible objects, sing songs of his people at 1am, and loves my hair ties as toys.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He is quick to befriend and enjoys sleeping on people. He's a big talker, but loves TV time too. He has an air of regalness about him and he knows it.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Oreo is a 9 year old American Shorthaired cat. I fostered him in September 14, 2001 with his mother and 2 brothers and a sister, I adopted Oreo in February 14, 2002.

He likes to chase bugs, look out the windows, run and jump, vocal complain about nothing, talks to me, tells me no or now, loves to cuddle against me, sleep on my chair top, sleeps in my bed by my pillows or the foot of the bed, can sing or tries to, loves country, classical music, loves to greet family members at the door, chases angel orbs on my walls, loves playing with his toys, sits by my computer and purrs until I pick him up, loves to tease me chases my feet as I walk, purrs a lot when he is happy, cries when he wants something, yells at me.

By Kelly

Oreo (American Shorthair Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Boris is 1 year old and an American Shorthair (pedigree breed). He likes catnip toys, balls, kitty teasers, and sitting in the front window or in/at the patio door watching leaves, chipmunks, birds, and what ever else may happen to go across his view.

He is a Red-Silver Spotted Tabby.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Tom is a 3 month old American Shorthair cat. These are some babies I got from freecycle.org. They needed a good home.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

Sweety is a 4 year old domestic shorthair. We got Sweety in late spring of 2007 when she was about 12 weeks old.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Poole is 5 1/2 years young. He followed me into my house. He is a cat, anything that serves his own pleasures will suffice.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Oreo is a 10 year old American Shorthair. I adopted Oreo back in 2001 from Cleveland, Ohio APL. He loves to run, climb, jump, meow loudly, and catch his bird noise maker.

If I throw it towards him, he brings it back to me.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Sweety is 3. She is an American Shorthair. I adopted her. She likes to play with twist ties and her scratching tree. She's crazy and lovable and naughty.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Jeremiah is 1 year old and a Black American Shorthair cat. Jerry was a drop-off of sorts. He needed a home, and we had the space.

He was just a tiny kitten, and he was no bigger than the palm of your hand when I first saw him. My, how he has grown!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

We decided we wanted a new addition to our family, and we fell in love with these two who were in a foster home together. Since they are brothers, we didn't want to separate them, so we decided to adopt them both when they were about 4 months old. They have provided comfort and laughter to us ever since.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

She is one of our little fosters that ended up staying.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Sweet Pea is a 5 year old American Shorthair. He was dumped in the woods near our house, and he found us.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

We always have kittens who need homes around our house and a good many of them stay here over a year before they find that perfect forever home. Whiskers, aka Whiskey, is under a year old and very quiet and shy. She is a little girl kitten.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

Little Boy is 4 years old and an American Shorthair. He was found orphaned at 2 weeks behind our barn. My husband found 2 little kittens while he was weed whacking.

Little Boy (American Shorthair)

Comment Like this photo? Yes