AdviceFood Safety

Shelf Life of Tuna Packaged in Pouches

I have a couple of unopened pouches of tuna and albacore. I don't think they have expiration dates on them, so how long can go by before it's too late to open and use them?

Also, what"s the difference between the tuna and albacore? Or is there a difference?

By Trish

There should be an exp date somewhere on there. I have only cans, not pouches or I could tell you what spot to look at.This is from the Starkist site:

All unopened StarKist® products have a recommended shelf life of up to three years, provided the product has been stored under normal conditions and the can or pouch appears normal and is not damaged.

A "Best By" date is printed on all StarKist® Tuna products for your convenience.

http://www.star  ection=faqs.html

This article tells a bit about the differences.

http://extensio  tory.php?id=2033

I have always preferred the white albacore over the light tuna but it is a bit more expensive than the light and I have read that the albacore has a more mercury than the light so I have been experimenting with the light tuna lately.

Check the article below for limits: http://www.fda.  rs/ucm110591.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna

http://en.wikip  rg/wiki/Albacore

Just fyi there is no date on these pouches. I have a different kind of pouch for one of them and that is dated but not the tuna creation ones.

Anonymous

I have a pouch of albacore tuna and it has a date. I really want to know if it's ok to eat if it's 3 months past the expiration date. The "best by" date is printed on the back of the pouch. Brand is Starkist.

Trish, try this great site someone sent me: stilltasty.com

A lot of great information on just about any food item in your kitchen. Enjoy

Anonymous

Looks like the question about stale date is already sufficiently answered ;-) As for the difference between regular tuna and albacore tuna:

Albacore is one of a few of sub-species of tuna. It's a light/white meat fish that is less fatty and doesn't have as much of a fishy taste as the regular dark meat tuna.

The biggest advantage of albacore, as far as the environment, is that albacore don't run with the dolphins like the regular tuna fish do.

I prefer albacore not only because of the less fishy flavor but also because, since the albacore don't run with the dolphins, no dolphins get caught in the tuna fishing nets and end up dying because once caught in the net they can't get to the water surface for air.

I don't have any scientific data, only experience. I read different stuff here and there and did my own experiments, since I hate wasting stuff. Currently,(even as I write this) I am eating Starkist Tuna Creations from a pouch. The Best by date is 04-05-15.

Tastes fine, maybe a little dry. Today is 06-26-17

Also, 2 years ago around March of 2015 I found some cans of Surefine Tuna in oil in my pantry. They were dated Best by Jul-27-2007.

I opened them, looked and smelled fine. Did what I usually do, put a small spoon of mustard in the can, stirred it up and ate it.

Tasted fine. As you can tell I didn't die.

From all I've researched about this stuff is that canned goods last years longer than the expiration date if stored in conditions that aren't excessively extreme. You may have loss of nutrition and breakdown of texture, like storing up canned corn and 10 years later it may be creamed corn.

Speaking for myself, I use common sense, and common senses; look, smell, no punctures or swelling or rust on the cans.