Stretching Tuna for Tuna Salad

Category Seafood
Adding other ingredients to your tuna salad is one way to bulk it up, vary the taste, and stretch the tuna. This is a page about stretching tuna for tuna salad.

I don't know how many of you have noticed, but tuna now comes in 5 oz. cans, not 6. The price didn't go down either! That's a 17% decrease in the contents!

To stretch it further in sandwiches, I have a number of favorite add-ins: a chopped up hard-boiled egg, diced apples (I use Gala, because they're a little sweeter, and really cut the "fishy-ness" of tuna), celery, and even shredded carrots!

I add half a small-ish apple to one can of tuna, a big sprinkle of carrots, and/or one egg per 5 oz. can used. I also treat the celery differently than you'd think.

I *hate* soupy tuna, and celery is mostly water. I chop up the celery, then wrap it up tight in a clean cloth or paper towel, and squeeze it hard. This gets a lot of the water out so that, if I use only part of the tuna in a day, the next day's batch will be just like I like it.

By Polly Levesque

Food and Recipes Recipes Salads SeafoodJune 20, 2016
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Stretching-Tuna-for-Tuna-Salad-1.html