MoldCleaning
To Top

Removing Mold Spores from a Room

During the course of many years and failed attempts to stop rain leakage in a room of our house we finally have found the problem and fixed the hidden area of the roof. That was over a year ago and we are ready to fix the damage inside.

The ceiling will be fixed this week so I'm wondering how to clean the room. There are several black mold areas showing which of course will be removed once the guys take off the old ceiling and put up the new. How about the mold spores that are on the walls and in the floor, etc? The walls are painted and the floors are hardwood. What is the process to get rid of mold spores the easiest and simplest way? All suggestions will be happily received as this has been a huge issue for many years! Thanks.

By Bonnie H.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Anonymous
October 6, 20110 found this helpful

You really need to call a few of your local professional mold removal contractors in your area for a safe answer to this question and especially since the mold is most likely not limited to the spots you actually see. Mold spreads even to dry areas and this type of mold is hazardous to your health. Professional mold removers even wear hasmat equipment to protect themselves.

After you've received proper education from professionals if you decide to do the clean up yourself do only what they tell you to do. Also, wear masks and gloves and immediately launder the clothes you're wearing. And do not use bleach for surface cleaning. The mold and bleach combination is especially toxic.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 7, 20110 found this helpful

Deeli is absolutely right-this is a job for the professionals. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if the 'guys' you mention in your post don't use protective gear whilst doing the work, you may have a lawsuit on your hands should one of the workers become ill after the work. Before they get started, check your homeowner policy to be sure they are covered. If not, make sure the contractor is covered, and "get it in writing" to protect yourself.

If you are doing this as a d-i-y project (something I've done and wished I hadn't), you especially need to be careful. One of the most important things you need to know is that using household bleach to remove the mold and spores is very hazardous to your health as bleach reacts with mold to become a colourless-ordourless gas that causes terrible long-term lung damage.

If you absolutely must do this work yourself, use a 1-1 vinegar and water solution to wipe down all of the surfaces you can. Vinegar is proven effective against molds and doesn't cause the gas that using household bleach will.

Consider applying the vinegar-water solution with a sprayer to get into cracks, etc, and make sure everyone in the area wears protective gear including breathing apparatus (available at any d-i-y store, not terribly expensive).

Use fans and open windows to ventilate.

Good luck to you in this, my project had to be abandoned because I couldn't afford professional help with a really serious mold problem. I hope your project goes well and you have a good outcome.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Categories
Home and Garden Cleaning MoldOctober 5, 2011
Guides
Balack mokd on the wall.
Getting Rid of Black Mold
pictures of shower walls
Cleaning and Removing Mold from Shower Walls
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
More
📓
Back to School Ideas!
😎
Summer Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/14 23:32:54 in 432 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!