Crafts Made With Small Mirrors

What kids crafts can I make from small rectangular mirrors?

Vickie from Chicago, IL

Hi Vickie

I have made frames from them with groups of kids before. Just remove part of the backing in the center. I was able to use fingernail polish remover for mine. If that doesn't work, you can buy the silver remover at craft stores, and possibly hardware stores as well.

Just put a picture of the kids on the back, or a little saying, whatever you want to use.

Then you can use ribbon, small shells, or something to put around the edge to finish it off.

I'm not real good at writing instructions, but I hope you get the gest! :)

Have fun!

Mirrors: OH, so many wonderful, fun ideas! But BE CAREFUL these mirrors can be SHARP! Here's a few ideas:

---> take 2 matching mirrors and some high quality glue (in a well ventilated room) Read glue to see if it works with glass. Sandwich a piece of clear beading or fishline between mirrors. Let glue dry and make absolutely beautiful mobiles from the mirror pieces. (they will look like they are floating & spinning in through the air) Use the fishline with dowels or twigs from your yard to hang them from.

---> I saw a decorating program where they took mirrors and randomly placed them in concentric circles on the wall. It was great how they reflected the light.

---> If they are small enough, you can glue the mirrors to Christmas or Hanukah balls to hang from tree or glue to cardboard or wooden forms you'd find at the craft store. You could spray paint or hand paint the forms first. These could be simple shapes like triangles, or stars, or just circles with the child's picture in the center or not. You could also print up little sayings on cardstock or shrink plastic that say things like (love, happiness, or peace and joy, etc) and mix these with the mirrors and construction paper to make your own "mosaics".

---> Do paper mache' and glue on mirrors. One idea: Take a balloon: blow it up and cover with Vaseline. Apply plaster coated cloth dipped into water (it's made for casts). Buy this at a craft or medical supply store. Cover balloon with plaster strips, when dry. thread a needle with fishline and hang. (If thread goes through, use a bead to secure fishline) Glue mirrors to this and make your own small Disco Ball!

How small are the mirrors? You can mosaic with them onto a flower pot or a flat stepping stone along with other small tiles or glass beads. I have used super glue to fasten the items and then used tile grout (directions are on the container) to finish it. I have seen bowling balls mosaic-ed and they turn out looking like a garden gazing ball.

Also, depending on how old the kids are, ask THEM to brain storm some ideas, they will surprise you.

Crafts AdviceAugust 25, 2006
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Decorating Ikea Mirrors
Decorating Ikea Mirrors
clean bathroom mirror
Keeping Mirrors from Streaking
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors