Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service

We are thinking of cutting our bills and canceling cable TV and our phone connection with it. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Also, are those black boxes, that we will need for our TV all the same?

By Big sis from Cocoa Beach, FL

If by "black box" you're referring to the one that belongs to the cable company, you must surrender it to them when you cancel your cable. You will, on the other hand, need a digital converter box to pick up local TV stations over the air, unless you have a newer TV that has a digital tuner built-in. Either way, you'll need a rooftop antenna.

I hope this answers your questions!

Keep detailed notes of all contacts and employees you encounter concerning your desire to cancel services. They may not be allowed to offer their full names, but if you have a record of numbers called and the first names and or employee identification numbers of the employees spoken too, you will have an advantage.

In the early 2000 years I once tried to cancel a phone service only to realize no supervisor was doing their job in honoring their front line employee promises. I would call to cancel and be told to expect another bill before the cancellation would take effect and to ignore such, only to get a call from a credit collection company the next month, trying to get money from me after I'd made the cancellation clear.

Take notes, take first names, note the time, date, and number you called, each and every time. Anytime someone says "I can't help you", ask for a supervisor, even if this is/was the third or fourth or eighth supervisor you've been transferred to, and repeat your request, again asking for at least first names and job titles. Keep going higher on the employment ladder, ever asking for verification of the person's title - until the problem is resolved.

It took me a year to finally cancel this phone service and another six months for them to admit they had failed to act as I requested. (After many kind requests and a few not so friendly demands) they finally sent a letter admitting their error to credit report agencies, both admitting and requesting a correction on my credit reports that null and voided their accusations of my bad credit practices..

Not all companies are like this, but if you encounter a similar circumstance, the only thing you can do is be insistent that they correct the errors of their ways and follow up to see that they do so.

With any luck, you won't have to deal with this, but the best plan of action is to assume that it could happen and act accordingly. Good Luck!

The first question to ask is if you have a contract for a year or two? Some cable companies require a contract so check your paperwork and then call them to verify if you are on a month to month or extended contract agreement.

The black box belongs to the cable company and you will need physically to take it to your local cable company office. The best thing to do is cancel services while you're at the office returning the box and ask them for print out proof of the cancellation and return of the box before you leave the office.

You have all given me such helpful advice! I realize now that there is a digital converter box and antennae that I will need to purchase. A sales rep told me that for my area, I would need an amplified antennae. Any comments on purchasing any of these? And are all digital converter boxes the same?

Big Sis, glad we've been helpful. :-) It would be best to submit your latest question as a new question because not everyone checks back for updated feedback on questions they've answered. Your chances of receiving more good answers would work better by submitting it separately.

Personally, I know nothing about antenna's or purchasing converter boxes so am sorry I can't help you with that but lots of people here at ThriftyFun do know. :-)

If you need an inexpensive digital/analog converter I found some from circuit city that seem to be decent. I ordered 2 more today for less than $58 with shipping.

I cut the cable and kept the internet. I went on amazon and bought a net gear box and pay $9 for Netflix. I also bought an antenna that looks like the one called clear. I got about 65 channels from that one. Good luck.

I cut my cable and I love it. I use magic jack for the house phone. I use sling on my roku on the bedroom tv. $24 a month. I also bought a UNLOCKED streaming box on amazon for$99 I get everything free with that in the living room. The only reason I have sling is because I have not been able to load hallmark. I also got the lower cell plan and use wifi at home. I refuse to pay for data..

Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyNovember 29, 2010
Photo of a TV remote control.
Saving Money on Your Cable Bill
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books
🎄