Hardwood Floor Cleaner That is Safe for Pets

I adopt abused Shih Tzus and those with health problems. I now have had 2 unneutered males about 10 yrs old who raise their legs on any vertical surface. I also have a 5 yr old who constantly licks the sealed hardwood floors. What I seek is a cleaner for the hardwood floors that won't harm my 'licker' or the finish on the floors. Thanks for any suggestions. I can't afford to have the floors refinished any time soon.

Joan from Norwell, MA

A cup of distilled white vinegar in a gallon of water should do the trick. Test in an inconspicuous spot first.

I have cats and feel the same way you do. I don't want them walking, licking or near chemicals that can harm them. I use white vinegar and water to clean my hardwood floors. I normally splash it in the water bucket but I guess its about half a cup to the bucket of water.

I am actually thinking of purchasing one of those steam floor cleaners in the near future. You might want to consider that. But if you have a pet that 'spritzes' in a corner the vinegar will remove the 'scent' and they won't return to the spot.

Plus, if you want more cleaning power you can add more vinegar to the water w/o hurting your floor or pet. It is nontoxic....natural...inexpensive way to clean everything in your home.

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsNovember 16, 2007
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors