FloorsCleaning

Hardwood Floor Cleaner That is Safe for Pets

I adopt abused Shih Tzus and those with health problems. I now have had 2 unneutered males about 10 yrs old who raise their legs on any vertical surface. I also have a 5 yr old who constantly licks the sealed hardwood floors. What I seek is a cleaner for the hardwood floors that won't harm my 'licker' or the finish on the floors. Thanks for any suggestions. I can't afford to have the floors refinished any time soon.

Joan from Norwell, MA

A cup of distilled white vinegar in a gallon of water should do the trick. Test in an inconspicuous spot first.

I have cats and feel the same way you do. I don't want them walking, licking or near chemicals that can harm them. I use white vinegar and water to clean my hardwood floors. I normally splash it in the water bucket but I guess its about half a cup to the bucket of water.

I am actually thinking of purchasing one of those steam floor cleaners in the near future. You might want to consider that. But if you have a pet that 'spritzes' in a corner the vinegar will remove the 'scent' and they won't return to the spot.

Plus, if you want more cleaning power you can add more vinegar to the water w/o hurting your floor or pet. It is nontoxic....natural...inexpensive way to clean everything in your home.