Dog Won't Stop Scratching

My Rottie has been scratching, biting, and licking himself to the point of driving me crazy. Could it be dry skin? How can I help him with his skin problem?

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

How about an examination by his Veterinarian? Itching/scratching can be a cause of many things. Please take your pet to the Vet.

Try giving him a oatmeal bath. Dogs can also take Benadryl. You may need to have a skin scrape done by the vet to make sure it's nothing serious.

My dogs cannot eat any food with corn or corn meal in it. It causes the same reaction. Take the dog to see the vet, and if it is just a general skin condition, try changing their diet. I feed my dogs lamb and rice food, and even buy lamb and rice dog biscuits for a treat, after I read labels and saw some dog cookies also have corn as a filler. Changing their diet resulted in no more itching!

Your dog may be allergic to fleas. I got a dog from a rescue in November and they promised me she had been treated. However, when I took her to the vet, I found that she did have fleas, and she has a terrible allergy to them. It took two weeks for the itching to clear up and here is what I did:

1. Benadryl (get the amount from your doctor as it's based on weight) at night.

2. Fish oil twice a day (the kind for people, I cut the pill and squeeze it out onto her food)

After 2 weeks she stopped scratching so much. She still scratches, but no where near what it was. I no longer give her Benadryl and I have continued the fish oil. She's much better.

Good luck!

Has your dog been checked for hypothyroidism? This can cause itching, scratching and hair loss. The treatment is very inexpensive.

I find my dog has the same problem of itchy-biting-scratching. Been to the Vet 4 times with him and its always the same, buy this expensive shampoo,bynadryll,buy special food. None of it worked. Well then give us $500 and we will take a skin test. I take care of my 4 legged members but I find after going to 3 different vets,it seems all they do is guess. Well at $75.00 a guess plus medication it gets expensive. I am still looking for answers. But I find the vets dont have any.

I don't know if this will help you my dog only scratches in summer I tried everything but nothing worked I went to the vet and they gave her a steroid injection and that stop her from scratching I don't,like to use chemical but I was driving her nuts and me I hope tat helps

Try a hypoallergenic dog food. A soy-free, grain-free food is a good place to start.

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 22, 2011
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatoo is Scratching Itself
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 5:10:31 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.