Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Won't Stop Scratching

My Rottie has been scratching, biting, and licking himself to the point of driving me crazy. Could it be dry skin? How can I help him with his skin problem?

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By ilovesophie [14]09/01/2011

Has your dog been checked for hypothyroidism? This can cause itching, scratching and hair loss. The treatment is very inexpensive.

By Kathe03/23/2011

Your dog may be allergic to fleas. I got a dog from a rescue in November and they promised me she had been treated. However, when I took her to the vet, I found that she did have fleas, and she has a terrible allergy to them. It took two weeks for the itching to clear up and here is what I did:

1. Benadryl (get the amount from your doctor as it's based on weight) at night.
2. Fish oil twice a day (the kind for people, I cut the pill and squeeze it out onto her food)

After 2 weeks she stopped scratching so much. She still scratches, but no where near what it was. I no longer give her Benadryl and I have continued the fish oil. She's much better.

Good luck!

By Kathy [20]03/23/2011

My dogs cannot eat any food with corn or corn meal in it. It causes the same reaction. Take the dog to see the vet, and if it is just a general skin condition, try changing their diet. I feed my dogs lamb and rice food, and even buy lamb and rice dog biscuits for a treat, after I read labels and saw some dog cookies also have corn as a filler. Changing their diet resulted in no more itching!

By Stacy03/23/2011

Try giving him a oatmeal bath. Dogs can also take Benadryl. You may need to have a skin scrape done by the vet to make sure it's nothing serious.

By Sherri [6]03/23/2011

How about an examination by his Veterinarian? Itching/scratching can be a cause of many things. Please take your pet to the Vet.

By vicki hood [4]03/23/2011

Diet change immediately. No corn, wheat or soy. See my past posts. All the info on skin, health, diet, fleas, allergies, Nzymes. No i don't sell it, but to balance and cure system, needs Nzyme granules. Nzymes.com. Cures skin and many other problems. Fleas treated naturally with info on my posts. Vaccine dangers on my posts. Do not upset auto immune system. Itch show up after vaccine? Stop poisoning your dog. No grocery store pet food. No steroids as problems come back worse. Please, i have rescued for many years. Most of what i get in have problems. Read my past posts.

Here are questions related to Dog Won't Stop Scratching.

Question: Dog Scratching A Lot

My Pit Bull won't stop itching, scratching, or biting himself. He also smells bad. He scratches himself till he bleeds, he is losing hair on his tall and back. He has no fleas and I give him baths and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what is causing him to do this? Please help.

By Milton

Most Recent Answer

By Ce07/14/2013

Sounds like your dog is having a bag allergy attack. This web site maybe able to help you and your dog. www.allergicpet.com

Question: Dog Scratching and Biting Herself

Rottweiler in yard.My Rottweiler started scratching and biting herself a few months back, we started off feeding her Bakers when she was young, but it seemed to be a little bit too rich for her stomach. Then we have been feeding her Breeders Pack which seemed to settle her stomach. Now she's 2.

I took her to our vet for an examination and advice regarding the scratching and the vet seems to think it's an allergy with her food as she doesn't have any signs of having fleas. We are now feeding her Hills Canine Z/D, but it doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone got any advice as she is living with a buster collar on all the time as she makes herself bleed.

By Stacy

Most Recent Answer

By xintexas04/26/2013

My ROTTI who had some allergies did well on a rice and lamb diet. Most dog food manufacturers make lamb and rice. Any diet that the dog goes on will take several weeks to start working. So be patient when starting on a new diet.

Question: Dog Scratching His Skin Raw After Being Groomed

My son's dog has scratched the side of his face raw. Now it is scabby and the left ear seems inflamed. This happened after going to the groomer's and the groomer sprayed him with a scented spray. He is a 5 year old Golden.

By Colleen

Most Recent Answer

By Cisco's Mom08/21/2012

If this is the first time this ever happened, obviously the poor dog is alergic to the scented spray. If this is the first time you have used this groomer I would be sure to mention it to him/her and be sure they never spray him again.

Question: Dog Is Scratching Off Her Hair

I have a female 57 variety dog. She is about 10 yrs old and very nervous. We have had her since she was 6 months old. She is frightened of everything and everybody.

It's very hot here just now. She has Frontline monthly so no fleas or ticks, but she just doesn't stop scratching. She is scratching so much she is losing her hair. I have been to the vet's and got some shampoo which was expensive. I don't mind this, but it didn't work. Now they are talking about her food as the possible problem. I put oil in her food. She is fed just once a day because it's so hot.

Any ideas would be great. Should I be putting cream on her? She never goes out in the sun, ever. Help please.

By Christina

Most Recent Answer

By Chris Martin R.09/01/2011

I agree on the oatmeal bath rather than an expensive shampoo. Unless the vet thinks she has some kind of fungus and the shampoo is a fungicide. Did the vet say anything about giving her benadryl at least for the short term to keep her from tearing her skin up with scratching? I would ask about the dosage for your dog's weight. Have you changed food recently? I find it hard to believe that she would suddenly have problems with a food she has been eating for years. Or has the manufacturer changed the ingredients in the dog food? Good luck and I hope your friend feels better soon.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I have Red Bone Coon Hound that my husband and I rescued from the animal shelter. She was starving and was in very bad shape when the shelter got her. The vet had her on Clavamox for her skin. When we brought her home she did not scratch, had a great coat.

I have had her to the vet since then, she is back to the scratching. They gave me meds to help with the scratching and some shampoo to bath her every 10 days. That was great for about month, now she back to the scratching.

I have been to the pet store, and buy everything to get her to stop. I even changed her food to Iams as I was told that this is a better dog food. I am at the end of my rope. The vet is not helping as they told me she has mites. I have another dog and she is not like this.
Does anyone have an suggestions for me.

- Chrissy

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I had the same trouble with my free dog who is a Scottie mix. The vet said try Lab and Rice Food and it works. That was 10 years ago and she is full of hair and happy. Good luck. (04/11/2005)

By Jill

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I would definitely go to another vet. Sometimes even one flea could bite your dog and they could be allergic to it and be scratching all the time until you get medication. You may also have to change the dog food. Good luck. (04/11/2005)

By Donna J.

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

We just recently had a similar experience with our rescue pup. We purchased "Wellness" brand Fish and Sweet Potato dry food. They also make "Simple Solutions" which consists of one meat protein, venison or duck, and one carbohydrate, ground brown rice. They are especially made for chronic conditions, allergies, and ailments.

Try: oldmotherhubbard.com There is a store locator on their site. You can also contact them. I did and they were very helpful. "Via phone: From US and Canada please call 1-800-225-0904, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time."

(04/11/2005)

By D. Ann

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

Consider switching or supplementing your dog's food with raw food including raw bones. Cooked bones splinter, but raw bones and meat are a dog's natural diet. Pet food is a relatively recent invention. Check out websites for tips on switching your dog's diet as there is plenty of information available on the web. Good luck and try to use drugs as a last resort as most have side effects. (04/12/2005)

By Pet lover

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

My son's Rottweiler had a type of mange that required multiple treatments. The vet gave him a prescribed dip to use at home, since if the vet did it, the cost would be very high. He faithfully followed the vet's instructions and after about three months the dog was problem free. His dog was not even a year old when the dog was diagnosed. I read that some types of mange can take awhile to heal if it becomes infected. Try another vet and ask to have a skin scraping done. Good luck and thanks for rescuing this dog. (04/12/2005)

By mkymlp

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

My in-laws in Florida had the same problem with their Dachshund. What finally worked for them was to rub Bag Balm on the affected areas several times a day. Bag Balm is a salve used on the udders of cows and you can find it at stores that sell livestock and farming supplies. (04/18/2005)

By Becki in IN

Archive: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

I have a 5 year old Golden Retriever mix. I have only had her for one year and she is having skin problems. Back in the summer my sister brought her dog over to my house and it had fleas. I did not know this at the time. I'm thinking she may be allergic to fleas.

Her skin is dried out and she has bad hot spots. She is always scratching at her ears and above her tail, I guess where her tail starts, also around her legs.

I have changed her food, kept her clean, and done everything to keep fleas off of her. What else could this be? She did have this problem before when I first got her, but it went away. I have not been able to get her to the vet due to financial problems, but am really considering not paying a bill to take her. Is there anything out there to help her, on the market?

By Melody from Farmville, VA

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching

The pattern you describe of the tail, rear legs, and behind the ears indicates flea dermatitis. Dog with food allergies normally break out across their stomach and groin and sides of theri face. Making sure your dog is not the host will take care of the cause. We use Advantage monthly even though we don't have fleas. My oldest dog will get a reaction with even a flea bite off of the clothes of neighbor kids with dogs.

I know the monthly can be expensive but it is far less expensive than vetting the results. Maybe you could find another friend with dogs who buys like the six month supply of Advantage and offer to buy one month off of her till you can afford. Keeping the hot spots clean will help a little. My friends and I always share creams etc. for our dogs to cut expenses for all of us. Hopefully you can find the same to help you through these hard times. Best wishes! (01/13/2010)

By caninecodependent

RE: Dog Won't Stop Scratching