FurnitureCleaning

How Do I Wash a Chair Cushion?

My dog has her own "chair" in the living room. It is old furniture so it is not a really big deal, but I would like to wash the cushion. It is big and obviously would not fit in my washing machine. Any ideas?

By BeBe from GA

I take my large comfort to the laundromat as it's too big for my home washer. They have extra large load capacity and costs around $4.00 to wash with one, but it does a great job. You might see if the cushion will fit in one.

Otherwise, I would suggest a drycleaning service or do a hand scrub outdoors and use a garden hose to rinse well and let dry on it's own.

You might also try an upholstery cleaner, or check here for a make-it-yourself one!

Is there any way to remove the cover from the stuffing and wash the cover separately? If not, use a spray-on cleaner like for carpets/upholstery. In the future, cover the chair with a throw that can be washed easily.

Anonymous

Do you have a cover on your cushion? Take cover off and wash, If it draws up a little, stretch back on while still damp. if not, wash cushion in washing machine for about 10 minutes, with detergent, and dry in dryer with dryer sheets, or hang on line.

Take off the fabric cover and launder in your washer. Take the foam out and spray it with the hose, if you have a car wash attachment you could use that with the soap, rinse and dry in the sun. Should smell great after that. Good luck.

Try this put cushion in a bath-fill with warm water & a small amount of cheap shampoo. This is the fun bit- remove shoes & stamp up & down on the cushion then leave it to soak for an hour. Rinse the same way. When ready to put outside to dry line a laundry basket with a large bin liner put wet cushion in it and take outside-no drips on the floor! I use this method for my kingsize doonas/quilts-it's great.