Eating Bug Damaged Lettuce

Every bit of my leaf lettuce and basil in my container garden is holey. I lay the blame on Japanese beetles. Can I still eat any of my holey produce? I know it sounds gross, but I'm angry. I had surgery and could not do a real garden.

By cussinwolf from NC Mountains

Should still be able to eat it. Are Japanese Beetles poisonous?? Wash it well.

I think eating the part that doesn't have the holes is okay. Good luck.

Gotta luv the bugs...NOT. As long as the lettuce is clean you can eat it. Wash it well. Bugs can actually be nutritious...lots of protein, or so I'm told. :)

I am doing container gardens now too. I mixed a spray bottle of water with a little "green" dishwashing detergent and use that to keep the bugs off the plants. It works great. I think it coats them and keeps them from breathing. What I do know is that they drop when well sprayed and it doesn't poisin anything including the plants. Washes off when you want to eat your hard earned produce.

It also works on my pine tree when it has worms....they drop to the ground where I can squish them with my boots. And they don't come back.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingAugust 9, 2009
Bug Sprayed on Wood Table
Cleaning a Bug Spray Stain on Wood Table
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce