Monitor Portion Sizes

The portions we eat are too big most of the time, and our children's are also. We serve most things cut small, and say to come back for more, if you eat all the food from the first serving. We cut buns and keep them covered, so none of them go to waste. It's the polite way to show how to cut back, without making anyone feel bad.

By rain200 from Chilliwack BC, Canada

March 28, 2011 Flag

Do you really know your portion sizes? Over the years, I seem to have developed a "super sized" mentality. I recently began measuring out food in what I thought were standard amounts. I found that my idea of a pound of hamburger is really closer to 1 1/2 pounds, and a "cup" (8 oz) of liquid turned out to be 12 oz! For the next few weeks, I will measure out everything to gain a proper perspective again. My budget and my waistline will thank me for it!

By Leann D

Answers:

Do You Know Your Portion Sizes?

2 cups of hamburg is equal to 1 pound. (10/28/2004)

By ginann

Do You Know Your Portion Sizes?

Three ounces is a "portion" of meat. That was the size of the original McDonalds. Guess why juice glasses are so "small"? Stick to eating portions, and you'll be the right "portion" yourself in no time! (09/03/2005)

By the Oracle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman looking at her shopping list in a supermarket.
Feeding a Family Inexpensively
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMarch 28, 2011
A family unpacking groceries in the kitchen.
Reducing the Cost of Feeding a Family
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
A mother cooking dinner for her family.
Feeding a Family of Four on $400 a Month
🎉
🎄