Browsing: Organizing Garden Tools

Organizing Outside Tools

I have a problem in my garage. I have many shovels, rakes, snow shovels, a hoe, and many long-handled garden tools. I have nowhere to put them, though. My garage does not have inside walls, just the main beams, and I cannot put nails into the thin wood of the walls or I can damage the siding. Where should I store all of my long-handled tools? Any suggestions? And please don't tell me to get rid of some, this is not an option. Thanks for your help!

Joy from Pennsylvania

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I just read a tip on this subject. The tip suggested getting a wheeled garbage can to put your gardening stuff in and it can be used to wheel to the garden and carry all your tools with you. Too much stuff, get two of them.

Can you store them, Handle side down, in round trash bins? In my area, the large ones are under $10.00 in walmart, but I'm sure they could be found for even less.

You might also consider using PVC piping (available from any do-it-yourself store) to make a standing storage rack as thin and long as you need. You'd need 8 - 12 corner pieces (depending on height) and 8 - 12 straight pieces. These can be bought in all varieties of length.

Like the idea of the trash can but my suggestion is to add a little sand and motor oil to keep the shovels and rakes and such rust free just bury them in the sand and it will keep them like new. Also if you oil the handles with old English oil that will keep the handles in great condition also.

Along the same line as the wheeled garbage cart: Use a golf-club bag with wheels. They can be found at thrift stores and rummage sales.

We have a garage with walls like yours. We are thinking about getting that "peg board" and putting that up on the walls. You then would get hooks that would fit into the holes and you can hang up your things on them.

I saw a great idea in a small organizing pamphlet by Martha Stewart! You put some nails in your beams and string a short bungie cord from one nail to the other. Then you store your shovels and rakes, etc. in those spaces within the wall between the beams. This is great for us because we don't have a garage, only a storage shed about 6 x 8 and the tools don't take up room "in" the shed so much as almost disappearing along the walls of the shed.

buy a 2x4 and nail it across your studs in the garage about 36 inches off the floor the space inbetween the studs and outside wall will be perfect place for shovels rakes etc

Hi, I use a drywall bucket for storing shovels. Maybe you have enough tools that you need to use two drywall buckets. I add sand to the bucket. Then, to sharpen and clean the shovels after use I will jam the shovel into the sand-filled bucket.

You can store your larger outside tools such as shovels, rakes, hoes, etc inside of 3-4 cement blocks, the kind with the 2 holes in them, stacked.

My husband got some bike hooks and put them in the ceiling beams, and using two hooks per item he hung them up that way. I assume you could use one per item or do it on a vertical beam, which could leave an easy side opening to put up and take down?

Garden tools in disarray.
Organizing Garden Tools
Organizing GarageAugust 5, 2004
A photo of rusty pliers.
Removing Rust from Metal Tools
Photo of tools hung a peg board.
Organizing Your Tools
Trowel and Garden Gloves
Buying Garden Tools
Garden Tools in Basket
Maintaining Garden Tools
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 11, 2016 at 1:05:47 PM on 10.0.0.108 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.