Packing Light When Traveling

I am traveling to Anchorage, Alaska. This trip is for a month or two. I am leaving July 16th, I want to pack really light and I know the weather will change. I'm going there for the birth of my daughter's first child. This is my first plane trip. Any tips or suggestions are needed.

By 123Helen from Senoia, GA

Best Answer

If you have access to a washing machine, you can pack very light and just wash the clothes every couple of days. My family always packs carry-on luggage when we travel, whether we are going for a few days or 10 days. The key is packing the same color scheme to your clothes. I usually pack black pants and skirts. I wear my jeans and sneakers on the plane. These are usually the heaviest and bulkiest items I bring. So I do not need to pack them. Also sticking to the same color scheme for pants allows me to pack two pairs of shoes, one casual and one dressy. I also never pack shampoo and soap because hotels/houses I stay in have them already or I buy inexpensive ones when I get to my destination. My husband and I (and sometimes my kids) have gone to Hawaii, Europe, cruises, Alaska, and the Caribbean and always pack just a carryon bag each. We have never gone anywhere for 30 days, but I would apply my same strategies while packing for 30 days and would limit myself to a carryon.

Be sure and take a jacket. The temperature can vary from 90 to 45 in just one day even in the summer time. My brother lives in Anchorage and he says that no one goes anywhere without a jacket. If by any chance you might do some ocean fishing - you will need a winter coat, but you can find those usually at a second hand store like Salvation Army.

Be sure to check out the sites while you're there - Portage Glacier, walk the track around the town. Anchorage this time of year is beautiful!

Small packed suitcase open against a white background
Packing Light When Traveling
Travel and Recreation TravelJune 9, 2009
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
🎉
🎄