Making Packing Tape Image Transfers

Category Miscellaneous
Regular packing tape can be used to make newspaper or laser printer image transfers that you can then apply to a variety of objects. This is a guide about making packing tape image transfers.

This is a fun (and free) project. Using packing tape and warm water, you can transfer any newspaper image (or laser/toner printed image) onto the surface of your choice. I made gift wrapping for my girlfriend, Lizzie, just using an image from a free weekly paper and printer paper. The great thing about this is you can apply these sticky images onto anything, even glass. I think it looks awesome!

Total Time: 20 minutes

• newspaper image or laser/toner printer image (not standard Inkjet)
  • packing tape
  • scissors
  • warm water in a bowl
  • paper or any surface you want to transfer your image on

1. Choose your image(s). I went with this cute and colourful vintage image of a woman and birds. Place your packing tape over the area you'd like to transfer.
  2. Using the back of your scissor handles (or the edge or a ruler) firmly press down on the tape to burnish your image. This is very important in order to get your image to stick onto the tape.
  3. Cut out the taped and burnished area.
  4. Put your packing tape burnished image into the bowl and soak for a few minutes.
  5. The image will stick to the tape and the paper will be left behind in the bowl. If you use a printed image, the paper will be thicker so you will have to rub the paper off the tape with your fingers. The image will be left on the tape.
  6. Repeat with more images, if you like!
  7. There will still be a good amount of adhesive on the packing tape, even after the warm bath. Let the the pieces of tape dry, then apply to your surface.

This is a good way to make labels, but I use them for my beautiful journals. This is a fun craft to do with any age.