Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Jelly Did Not Set Up

How can I fix jelly that does not set up after it is done?

By Barbara from Zenda, KS

By Margaret [13]07/22/2010

Several years ago I made mulberry jelly that did not set up. I called the 800 number on the box of sure jell. She told me that if the sure jell was out of date that could be the problem. That is something that you really need to watch. I told her that was not the problem. She said that I should go through the whole cooking process again but not to add more sugar, but to add the amt of sure jell that was required. I was disgusted and thought it was too much work. So my husband had some very good mulberry syrup for his pancakes. Now, every time I make jelly he hopes it won't set up so that he can have some more flavored syrup. LOL!

Margaret from Denton, Texas

By Ethel Martinez [7]07/22/2010

That is a tough one I learned from my mother-in-law and it used to seem so easy.I made 24 pints of plum jelly last year 12 set up so thick and hard. I had to heat to get it out of the jar, the other 12 was like a thick sauce. I used the recommend amount of sure-jell,I would like to find out if anyone has suggestions also, It was all cooked in the same pot.