Number of Litter Boxes for Multiple Cats

We adopted two kittens (litter mates) three weeks ago. They are both using the little box great with no problems. My husband thinks we should have two litter boxes, but my sister-in-law that has 4 cats of her own says one is fine. What is your opinion on this?

By Tamiam from Patchogue, NY

I'm with your husband. I can't imagine four cats using one box. If you have questions, you can always give your vet's office a call, and they should be happy to help you. I've heard that you need at least one box per cat. I suspect you'll be less likely to encounter behavior problems with more boxes.

Two cats are fine with one box if you keep on top of it (4 cats in one box I can't imagine to be honest). My parents have two cats, my sister does and so do we and we all have one box. I scoop every day (sometimes I forget and they let me know quickly that I need to get right on it). With clumping litter it's pretty quickly taken care of and you can let the major cleaning out go for about 3 weeks. I do use the multiple cat version of the litter; may just be a gimmick, but it's not any more expensive. Good luck with the kittens.

Funny how we all seem to have heard something different. I've never ever heard one litter box is enough; I've heard over and over (read) that it is one litter box each plus one more. Better to have too many than not enough, I'd think.

I have 3 cats and I use 2 litter boxes.

Works fine, I only scoop them out about every 2 to 3 days.

When I had 4 cats they only had one litter box but 3 of them were outside all day. I currently only have one cat but two litter boxes and it is working out much better. My cat is a lot happier when I'm at work and she doesn't have to go digging looking for a spot, she has a choice. I have discovered that she p's in one and po's in the other.

I recommend the hard clumping type of litter. The size of the box and how frequently you clean it should determine how many you need. I have 3 cats 2 boxes.

Hi,

The general rule of thumb is to have a litterbox for every cat plus one extra. However, I have 5 cats and 4 litterboxes and it works out just fine. Right now being kittens their waste is small but you'll probably find that as they grow (and so does the poop!) that you'll appreciate having two litterboxes.

Hello,

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Our Dr. always recommended 1 box for each cat. One box for 4 cats is not helping the cats at all. Cats like a clean place to do their business. Having a clean box will help eliminate problems in the future. Good luck

It depends on the cat/s and how often you want to clean it. If the cats are using it with no problem, then you can stick with one litter box. The problem with multiple cats and one litterbox is that it becomes dirty quicker. Instead of cleaning once a day, you will have to clean it 2-3 times a day, which can get old pretty quickly.

I use 21 gallon totes with a "U" shape cut out on the end and no lid as litter boxes. I have three of them for 4 cats and scoop every single day. The extra large size is like having 6 boxes and the high sides help to keep litter confined. You really do need at least 2.

Your kittens are adorable by the way!

Pets CatsJuly 7, 2010
feeding a cat
Feeding Multiple Cats
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
🎄
🍂