Broken Pumpkin Plant Stems

I have two pumpkin plants that are growing beautifully. I don't have any fruit yet and no blooms but the plant themselves are very big and beautiful. This afternoon I went out to check on my garden and apparently my cat thought that was a great place to sit in the shade and broke two of my stems. They are only half broken but I don't know if I should cut them off or leave them alone? Any help would be wonderful.

By Megan from SC

I would pull some soil up around them, leave them as is, maybe they will grow more leaves from the root. Also put some hot pepper sauce around them to keep cats, etc. away. I sprinkle it all over my garden to keep neighbors cat out. You might want to plant more seed just to be sure you have some pumpkins. Good luck.

I have successfully used plain old scotch tape on semi-broken garden and house plants. One fuschia I managed to overwinter two years in a row is still going strong and the scotch tape is still holding three broken stems.

Good luck :-)

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 24, 2010
Pumpkin Patch
Pumpkin Patch Locations
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies