Using Broccoli Stems

Category Vegetables
The stems of a broccoli are often avoided, but contain the same wonderful flavor, and can be used in a variety of ways. This is a page about using broccoli stems.

When you are cooking broccoli, trim and peel if necessary the broccoli stems, then cut them, and add them to your boiling water. Allow them to cook until they are almost fork tender before adding the florets. They will be done at the same time and you have wasted no part of your good vegetable.

When you're cooking cabbage, be sure to cut out the heart of the cabbage first, then slice it thin and cook it for a few minutes prior to adding the tender cut leaves. I do not like to waste some of the best parts of good foods and at the prices we're paying for these foods, we can't afford to waste any part of them.

Source: Frugal habits learned from my smart mother.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Waste of any kind is unacceptable in our home, but the family refused to eat broccoli stems no matter how I cut them. Now I clean and dice those stems, and put them into a zip lock bag in the freezer. When that bag is full, I make one of the families favorite soups - cream of broccoli. There are no more arguments or waste at the kitchen table when this vegetable is served.

By Willow from Phila, PA

You don't have to throw away those broccoli stems. They can be cooked with broccoli flowers if you cut them into bite size pieces and cut an "x" in each end.

Answers:

Using Broccoli Stems

I peel them and cut them into sticks. The kids love them. They are great for dipping into ranch or onion dip. (06/09/2006)

By Marta

Using Broccoli Stems

A second in the food processor to shred them (raw) works great! I can mix them in my meatloaf or toss them in my salads or fritattas. Mmm! (06/09/2006)

By Carol

Using Broccoli Stems

Broccoli stems shredded with carrot makes a great foundation for Broccoli Slaw.They charge for this in the markets! (06/09/2006)

By

Using Broccoli Stems

Just curious -- why do you have to cut an "x" in the end? (06/12/2006)

By Kathy

Using Broccoli Stems

I peel the outside of the broccoli stalks with a vegetable peeler and slice the insides up to use in stir-fry. (07/09/2007)

By badwater

When cooking fresh broccoli with long stems, rinse and clean the broccoli; cut off the stems. Leave the stems whole. Cut the florets into large pieces. If the stems are very thick, cut in half.

Stack the stems into a pot, layering and criss-crossing. Add water to cover the stems a bit.

Carefully place the florets on top of the stems. Bring water to a boil; then turn down into a simmer and cover. Cook until tender or whatever way you prefer broccoli.

If the stems are tough; peel them before cooking. I like to add a bay leaf when cooking broccoli, it gives it a good flavor.

If you have a steamer pot, you can add the stems to the bottom of the pot with the water and add the florets to the steamer insert.

Source: Food Network TV

By it's.only.me from NE PA

Answers:

Using Broccoli Stems

We used to eat in a Chinese restaurant where they used the broccoli stems in cashew chicken. It was delicious, much more flavor than celery. (10/28/2009)

By Susan Meadors

How many of us have cooked broccoli florets and simply thrown away the stems? Instead, slice those stems in a food processor and store in the refrigerator and/or freeze to use in salads or soups and casseroles!

Source: Trying to find ways to stretch the food budget and not be wasteful :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers:

Using Broccoli Stems

Great in all soups especially cream of broccoli, stir fry, for crunchiness, to serve with dips and many other things! I can't believe anyone would be crazy enough to actually throw them away! (07/21/2009)

By Cyinda

Using Broccoli Stems

The stems are my favorite part of the broccoli. Peel off the outer woody layer and they are great steamed or raw. Years ago, I told a friend about this and she later said that she and her son had started eating the stems raw while the rest of the broccoli was cooking. (07/22/2009)

By The Aunt

Using Broccoli Stems

Use the stems for a crunchy bit in your broccoli dishes, also use the leaves and stems in your greens, very, very healthy for you. You can peel the stems for a nice stick in your raw crudites. If chopped small, they will cook just fine. (07/22/2009)

By Bailey36

Using Broccoli Stems

One more way, chop fine for crunch in egg or chicken salad. I love them peeled and sliced and cooked with the florets, actually prefer to the florets, but if I don't have any celery I find that broccoli stems or even cauliflower chopped fine work just as well in salads. (07/22/2009)

By Jeneene

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJune 30, 2018
🌻
😎
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Broccoli-Stems-4.html