Broccoli Mac Soup Recipe
A kid friendly soup version of broccoli mac and cheese, using leftovers on hand in the refrigerator. This guide contains a broccoli mac soup recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a classic "clean out the refrigerator" soup. I had some broccoli that was past its prime so I made a simple cream of broccoli soup. I added two boxes of mac and cheese to flesh it out and make it more appealing for my boys. I will definitely be making this soup again.
Total Time: 1 hour (or longer)
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped (reserve 1 cup for later)
- 3 cups broccoli florets and stem, chopped (reserve 1 cup of florets for later)
- 2 Tbsp No Chicken Base or other type of broth
- juice of one lemon, divided
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 boxes packaged mac and cheese (I used Annie's White Cheddar with Shells)
- yogurt, if desired
In the ingredients list, I showed shredded cheese and milk, not the yogurt that I used instead. I also added in the lemon after tasting it the first time. Feel free to make your own modifications or substitutions depending on what is in your own refrigerator and pantry.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 5 minutes or so.
- Add garlic, then celery, then carrots, stirring and cooking for about a minute each.
- Add broccoli, your favorite stock, bouillon or broth, 1/2 lemon juice, 8 cups water and seasonings. Bring pot to just a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until all the veggies are soft. You can simmer it longer, if you wish, and the flavors will just continue to develop.
- Remove soup from heat and blend in sections (or use an immersion blender if you have one). I added the powdered cheese to the last batch I blended to ensure that it would be thoroughly mixed in. Return to stockpot.
- Add in carrots. Return to just a boil then add in broccoli and macaroni noodles (shells) and remaining lemon juice. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes, until the noodles and carrots are cooked.
- Serve with a swirl of yogurt or maybe some shredded cheese. It is great for lunch the next day too.
June 22, 20140 found this helpful
This is a classic "clean out the refrigerator" soup. Learn how to make this kid favorite by watching this short video.
In This Guide