Dryer Leaving Rust Stains on Clothes

I have noticed several items that have come out of the dryer have a brown rust stain. Any ideas what could be causing this, how I can stop it from happening again, and how to get the stains out of the clothes so they can be salvaged? Thank you very much for your input.

Mom23boys from Queens, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I think the rust stains are coming from your washing machine and not the dryer.

Your clothes must be coming in contact with some rust in your washer. Look for some rust on the inside of the rubber gasket when you open the lid. Buy some appliance paint and retouch up the rust.

If they are tiny little brownish/rusty-looking marks, I think I know what the problem is because I had the same thing happen a few years ago. At the back of your dryer there is a fuzzy fabric strip around where the dryer drum turns and the rest of the dryer is stationary. My dryer was about 12 years old at that time and the strip had accumulated dirt and was worn out. I was told to replace the strip, which wasn't hard, and that took care of the problem. I ordered the strip online and I think it was less than $20 at that time. Maybe that is your problem too?

I'm not sure what causes it, but I too had brown spots show up only on shirts that had a pointed collar in my dryer. I could only think that the collar got caught in the holes that are in the dryer.?? Anyway, I used my shout and rewashed them and the marks came off. I now just put them in the dryer for a short time and finish hanging dry. It never affected any other type of clothing.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 3, 2009
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:18:31 PM on 10.0.1.163 in 896 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.