Plumping Up Raisins

Can you plump up raisins? I want to make cinnamon rolls. I have a new box of raisins but they seem a little dry. Any way to make them moister?

Pam S. from Wichita, KS

Put the raisins for your cinnamon rolls in a cup. Add warm water to cover them. Let sit 15 minutes. Drain any excess water. There you go.

I use hot black coffee or heated orange juice -- gives a little extra flavor.

Soaking them in any liquid will make them plump and moist - not only for cinnamon rolls but for any cake with dried fruit. When I make Christmas cake I soak them in a little brandy or other spirits, but you can soak them in tea, coffee, or fruit juice. It makes the cake lovely and moist. Ultimately I agree with the earlier poster - coffee would be lovely in cinnamon rolls.

I dont always get raisins used up in a couple weeks time. It seems

like they dry up and get sugary before they are gone. Any possible

way to keep them good longer?? TIA.

Good Mornin, To"plump" my raisins, I put the amt. called for in a micro-bowl cover with water and put in my microwave for about 20sec. Drain and let them cool a bit, then add to the recipe.

My mother taught me to put them in a small pan and add water to just cover them. Then bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Leave the cover on and by the time you have mixed the other ingredients, they are nice and plump and moist. Also, I have used the boiled water as part of the liquid ingredients for some recipes.

I keep my raisins tightly sealed in the refrigerator. This seems to help keep them much longer. Pouring boiling water over them, just enough to cover, to plump seems to be the quickest way I know.

Holiday cakes-rum or brandy is yummy. When I do sweet rolls, or do a quick boxed bread mix, I use apple juice or pineapple juice. Pineapple is especially good when making carrot salad. It's just a matter of choice for your liquid.

Put some water in a saucepan and the amount of raisins that you want to use. Boil the water and the raisins. Rinse and use the plumper raisins.

You can also put water to cover the raisins, and then pop them in the microwave for a minute or two, to heat up the water to steaming. Let them sit for a few minutes to plump up.

I was given a large jar of "dried" raisins. I put the amount of raisins I want to use in a kettle with about half as much water, cover with lid and simmer a couple minutes. Cool down if necessary and use.

Soak them in black tea for an hour.

This has been SO helpful! Thanks! (and thankyou Google)