Repairing a Screen Door

I have a screen door, but the screws holding the closer keep pulling out from the aluminum post because it's hollow. I tried larger screws but they eventually pulled out also. How do I fix it?

rslaxer1 from Boca Raton, FL

I think my husband uses JBWeld for this.

Have you tried that 2 part epoxy putty? They sell it at Home Depot, as well as auto part stores but Big Lots has it for half the price. You may have seen an infomercial on TV for a brand of it.

* I think it's the same thing as JB weld?

I use golf tee's and wood glue. Put glue on the sharp end, insert into the hole till it stops. Let the glue set up, then cut the tee off at the frame. Set the door and rescrew the hinge.

Drill a hole all the way through the door where the screw(s) tore out. Choose a bit the same size as the hole(s) in the closer bracket. Buy a machine screw slightly smaller diameter than the hole and the proper length to reach through the door with room left over for a nut.

I was a carpenter for 50 years. I have found that about 99 out of 100 people will never ever notice your closer is different than any other.

If the hinge screws tear out you have a major problem!

Try using plastic wall anchors. They come in various sizes - put a wall anchor in each hole then screw the screw in. You will need to match the screw size to the correct wall anchor size and the size hole in the frame. This should hold it as the screw forces the ends of the wall anchor to flair out to hold it in. I've fixed the metal strips that hold the condiments in my refrigerator doors using this same method :)

Screen Door
Repairing a Screen Door
Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsSeptember 29, 2008
Cat scratching at a screen door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Screen Doors
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Repairing a Window Screen
Repairing a Window Screen
🎄
🍂