Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen

Category Computer
It can be difficult to remove Sharpie from your computer screen. Abrasive clothes and certain cleaners cannot be used on your screen. This is a guide about removing permanent ink from a computer screen.

My 3 year old daughter decided to get artistic with a black Sharpie permanent marker! I freaked because it was on a LCD computer monitor which has a plastic screen. After reading some of the suggestions, I tried non-acetone nail polish remover. Much to my surprise and relief, it removed it completely and did no damage to the screen. If you have a similar situation, try using non-acetone nail polish remover and you won't be disappointed!

Source: Primarily from your website, but there wasn't any specific posts stating non-acetone nail polish remover as being used and being 100% successful.

By richard from Missouri

Editor's Note: Test a small corner first before cleaning the entire monitor.

Answers

My 2 year old grandson decided one day to draw on my computer screen with black permanent marker,and about two weeks later he decided to draw on it again. This time he used red and blue on top of the black, so I decided to search the web and came across this site,and read what GTA67 has posted,so i decided to try it,. I was very surprised how easy it came off the screen, even the black marker came off just as easy. I would like to say thank you gta67 for posting this,

Thank you, mickey

I tried what user GTA67 advised and it work wonderfully! Thanks so much!

Magic Eraser seems to work rather well with no apparent damage to the computer screen.

I used a magic eraser and a normal nail polish remover to remove black sharpie of my computer screen

wow! it worked great!thanks!

Anonymous

Thank you for the magic eraser trick. No nail polish remover needed just the magic eraser and a bit of water

you as well can use isopropyl alcohol A.K.A rubbing alcopropyl

what is that magic ereaser how can Ibuy it

when i couldnt find nail polish remover i opted to give hand sanitizer a try. worked like a charm- it came off as if it were dry erase. wish i could say the same for my desk ><

Happened to me as well!!! " year old grandson. The rubber worked. Thankyou

Anonymous

Thank you so much for this saved my life after our 4 year old coloured the whole screen black.
Think I tried everything top no avail and then tried this, came off instantly.

Anonymous

I tried it and it came off quickly. Thanks so very much.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Brita 03

Anonymous

I tried using something called AWESOME, and it didn't do ANYTHING, then I tried HAND SANITIZER and still NO RESULTS in taking the sharpie ink off my computer screen. I will buy the magic eraser and non acetone polish remover, and IF neither one of those don't work, does ANYONE have ANY MORE BRIGHT ISEAS as to what else to try next?

My 3 year old brother decided he wanted to draw on a piece of paper with permanent marker, but used my laptop screen as something to lean on and I need to get it off before Monday because I have to use it on Monday.

I can't use rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, hand sanitiser, or a Magic Eraser because then other people will find out what happened, because they will be able to smell it and realise that some of the product is missing or has marks on it.

Answers

Best Answer

I'm afraid the items you mentioned may be the only ones that will remove those marks.

• Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic) usually works and does not harm the screen so try this as it leaves no odor or markings behind.
  • You could try a dry erase marker: Just color the dry erase marker over the sharpie and then rub with a paper towel and the sharpie will usually wipe off.
  • You could try a little alcohol as the odor evaporates quickly but always test a small corner before using in a larger area.
  • I think you have read some of the suggestions on the Internet but here is a good link:
  • Ad

• www.thriftyfun.com/tf60360059.tip.html

My 4yr old sister put brown Sharpie on my movable mouse that's built in my laptop and on my screen. Please help!

By Jaun

Answers

Nail varnish/lacquer/polish remover containing acetone will usually get Sharpie off. Be sure to test in a small, inconspicuous area in case it removes the finish along with the Sharpie.

Rubbing alcohol (non-mentholated) will usually work too. Again, test a small area first.

Dry erase marker will remove sharpie from almost any smooth flat surface (you can try other areas also). Just color the dry erase marker over the sharpie and then rub with a paper towel and the sharpie will wipe right off!

We use this technique in preschools all the time. As with anything of this nature, test a small area first.

Anonymous

OMG IT ACTUALY WORKED!?  MIND BLOWN!

This was amazing. Took it right off. Thank you for such a quick & simple fix!!!

Yes my granddaughter just wrote all over my laptop screen with black permanent marker.

I used a dry ease marker and followed the lines and low and below it wipe off on a soft tissue.

All marks removed !!!!

Hurray! Thank you for your help.

Grateful Grannie

Anonymous

Dry Easter worked like a charm!!! Removed black permanent marker from ALL OVER SCREEN MY 2 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER USED AS A COLORING BOOK!!!

I have permanent black marker on computer monitor screen. What is the best thing to use to clean it off?

Susan from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Permanent Marker On Computer Monitor Screen

Rubbing alcohol that comes in those single paks kinda like a handy wipe. I work in a grocery store that has the new computer screens and that is all we are allowed to use. Cleans up beautifully. (10/06/2006)

By Laurie

Alcohol should work as long as your screen is glass rather than plastic (I believe many of the newer flat screens are plastic which makes them lighter weight.) (10/16/2006)

By Claudia from MD

My sister drew all over my dad's laptop screen and I used dry erase marker over it then a very damp paper towel and that did the trick.
(11/06/2006)

By Kay

Black and Gold Hairspray and paper wipe is all it took, spray onto the paper then wipe, then wipe with a clean one. (10/18/2007)

By Keith H.

While my mom wasn't home I got permanent marker on her laptop. I put my finger in my mouth and used my fingernail to scratch it off. It dosen't hurt the computer. Trust me.
(02/26/2008)

By Alex

I tried the alcohol and it took some of the marker off, but I followed up with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it took all of it off. Thanks for the great advice. (04/25/2008)

By Cathy, Philadelphia

Yikes! We freaked out when our almost 2 year old wrote black marker all over the computer screen, the keys and the desk. We didn't have rubbing alcohol, but I can safely say that my husband's not so expensive cologne worked very well. However, now the bedroom and not to mention the computer smells really good. (07/09/2009)

By Jennifer

How do I remove permanent black marker from my computer flat screen?

By melissas from Vancouver

Answers:

I would try dry erase marker over the mark on the screen. This works on dry erase boards, not sure if a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would ruin the monitor or not. Fingernail polish remover might work. I would google this and see what you come up with. Good luck! Robyn (09/21/2009)

By Robyn Fed