An Onion and Celery In The Turkey

Place a whole onion (skin and all) along with few large pieces of celery inside the cavity of your turkey before baking for a very moist and flavorful bird. I also baste the turkey with apple juice instead of butter or fat which results in a beautifully golden crisp skin and moist meat without any added fat. As a bonus your house will smell fabulous. The turkey will not have the taste of apples.

By Callie - Tampa, FL

This is what we have always done in our family too, except we do not leave the onion skin on!

I also lay onion and celery around the turkey in the pan. Yummm what a wonderful smell while cooking.

We put a whole apple in the turkey cavity and baste with orange juice...moist and yummmmmmy!

I have two great tips for turkey-cooking. First, I dissolve 1-2 cups of salt in water, place turkey in a sterilized cooler, pour brine mixture over the turkey add enough water to cover. soak at least overnight. If I need to thaw the turkey out, it works great to use the cooler, as it stays nice and cold as it thaws and the turkey gets the advantage of the brine. It makes the turkey so tender!

I also use an cut-up orange along with the celery and onions. Yum.

I have used all of these and had delicious turkeys. You do not want to use a brine however, on an "enhanced" turkey. It will tell you if it has been enhanced by instilling broth into the turkey. The turkey will not be tender.

Turkey in a roasting pan.
Roasted Turkey Recipes
Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving Turkey TipsNovember 20, 2004
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🎉
🎄