Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

I loved an idea a few weeks ago on here about putting seeds for your garden in egg crates, and then putting them in a homemade "greenhouse" to grow them. Somehow white mold grew on the soil (special soil for starting seeds). Maybe from too much water and not enough circulation?

My mom told me that baking soda applied a few times should kill the mold. But I would like to know if my seeds are now destroyed because of the mold? Some of my plants started, but many haven't. I just discovered the mold 3 days ago. They had been in the "greenhouses" for a week or two. Do I need to start over? Thanks for any help.

By Wife2jfbuilder from Minneapolis, MN

By Jamie [7]06/23/2009

Thank you both for your help! I just saw these now, here I thought no one responded!

So, my seeds didn't work, even the second time we did them, oh well! My hubby made a greenhouse even and we bought a 10 dollar greenhouse light at Walmart. Oh well! Will try again next year, and will look up that seed starting soil information!

Thanks again!

By Coreen Hart [73]04/29/2009

Are you sure it is mold? It sounds a lot like alkali. If it clings tightly to the soil, that's what it is. I would suggest getting some potting soil from the store (I know, it costs money, but not a lot!) and see if you have better luck.

By Chuck [1]04/24/2009

Same issues here, only I used my newspaper pots. I found this good fix and am using it in seed starting as well as in the garden. working great! They have a chart on site to show the mixtures for different needs.
www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Several of my houseplants have developed a white mold on the soil. What would cause this, and what can I do? I water my plants once a week, and they have good south sun. I also took someone's advice and have dumped coffee grounds on some of the pots. This has happened on the geraniums and other plants as well. Thanks in advance!

Kim from Crawford, CO

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

I have had this also. The reading I've done suggests that the soil may be too wet or not have enough air circulation. It only seems to happen to me in the winter. I stirred up the surface dirt and put a small fan blowing toward them for a week or so and it quit! :0) Maggie in Bloomington, MN (02/26/2008)

By gardenlady58102

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Hi there,
Happens to the best of us, lol. Just take a fork every couple weeks and redistribute the soil by poking it and you will notice that it will not happen anymore. Hope it helps (02/27/2008)

By dayna043

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Thanks! I will try stirring the soil, in fact I did do this on one plant already. KLJ (02/27/2008)

By KLJohn

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

I have taken several courses in greenhouse growing and plants. Mold is caused by one of three things (or a combination of them): Cool temperatures, Lack of Air Circulation, Excessive Moisture.
That is hard to control in the winter because you don't open the windows as often. Stirring the soil with a fork will help! But also try to get some fresh air on the "moderate" winter days. (02/28/2008)

By Johnny

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Definitely cut back on the watering in the winter. Plants do better with less water than too much. (02/29/2008)

By Ashley

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

What if it's growing on the actual plant leaves and NOT the soil? (03/06/2008)

By Karen

RE: White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

So, if it is already on the surface, should you just stir it in and loosen the soil (or will the mold harm the plant)? Or remove all visible mold (which would remove good soil too)? (11/25/2008)

By chicken lady