Marking Clothes for Children

My Mom had the perfect solution to labeling those children's articles of clothing. #1 child got one dot of nail polish on the label. The nail polish does not wash out very easily. #2 child got two dots, and so on down the line. As one child outgrew something and it was time to hand it down to the next, all she had to do was add another dot to the label (and maybe refresh the previous dots). Sure made sorting the laundry a lot easier! By the time the article reached child #6, (if it got that far!) it was time to toss it when she outgrew it!

Source: This came from my oh so sweet mother, who created so many wonderful things to help our big family cope.

By Irish from Delaware

September 21, 2006 Flag

Dots for Distinguishing Clothing: To distinguish between clothing for near-in-age or size children, place a permanent Magic Marker dot in an inconspicious place. One dot for the older child, two for the second, etc. If an item can be passed to the next child, simply add a dot.

By Ann

Marking Clothes for Children

I did this for years, but instead of lines, I used a black permanent marker to put a dot on the tag. My favorite story about this was dotting socks under the toes. (Makes it possible for even HUSBANDS to sort laundry!) Hubby and I went away to a B&B for two nights, farming each child to a different friend's home for a couple of days. About a week after we got back one of the moms who tended my daughter handed me three socks, (one pair and one stray), saying, "I couldn't figure out how the dots got on one of my kids' socks. By the time I found the third sock I figured out that they must be yours." So...dots or lines, marking kids' clothes has many advantages! (01/25/2005)

By Patty

Marking Clothes for Children

I have five girls under ten. We are always getting their clothes mixed up, especially things like jeans and solid color t-shirts. Now I make a mark on the label with laundry pen: one line is the oldest, two for the next. When the child outgrows the item, I add another line. Thus the oldest girl's clothes has one line, girl #2 has two, girl #3 has three, etc.. The older ones can even do it themselves when they realize the sleeves have grown too short, add a line and it will automatically be put in the drawer of the next girl down.

By Jenney (08/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Marking Clothes for Children

i have 2 boys about the same size. in the smallest , i use a permanate marker to place his m for mikey on the white of the inside his clothes. the other son ricky i leave blank. when he out grows them. there goes another m.(this is in pants and shorts) (08/20/2005)

By lynnadams

Three school age girls wearing backpacks.
Saving Money on School Clothes
Organizing ClothingNovember 29, 2007
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School