Marking Hard Boiled Eggs

Category Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
If you are storing hard boiled eggs in the same carton as your raw ones, marking will remove the confusion and prevent an accidental mess in the kitchen. This is a guide about marking hard boiled eggs.

We recently decided to boil the majority of a carton of eggs. Since there wasn't an extra carton laying around, we decided to mark the boiled ones with a Sharpie so that we knew which eggs were which.

To keep track of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge, add a few drops of food coloring to the boiling water. My family knows that the tinted eggs are ready for eating.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

OK, you've brought some eggs home from the grocery store and just hard-boiled some up for later use. But now that they are done, how do you store them and tell them from the raw eggs in the fridge? Here's a tip I learned from my mom way back when I was a kid.

The first time I saw her doing it I thought she had lost her marbles! She simply marked both ends of the hard boiled egg with pencil scribbles! That's it. Then she could tell the boiled ones from the raw ones.

I happened to think of this only because I just finished boiling some up for myself and marked them. It's funny the little things we pick up from our parents and never even think about, isn't it?

Source: Thanks Mom!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Have you ever had both boiled eggs and fresh ones in the refrigerator and couldn't remember which was which? I take a pen or pencil and write a B on all my boiled eggs and eliminate this problem.

By Garnetgirl9 from Stoughton, WI

Make hard-boiled eggs easier to distinguish from the raw ones in your refrigerator. Just add onion skins to the boiling water with the eggs, and the eggshells will turn a pretty orange-brown color. Keep this in mind, too, as an option for dying some Easter eggs.

- Ness

Answers:

Orange Hard Boiled Eggs

Just spin the egg! A hard-boiled egg will spin easily. A raw one won't! (04/06/2005)

By Darla