Hard Boiled Eggs Tips and Tricks

Category Eggs
This guide contains hard boiled eggs tips and tricks. Find the best way for you to boil eggs so they don't crack, are easy to peel and use.

I bought a bag of very small quartz-like rocks from Dollar Tree. I plan to use them for a craft project I have in mind. I found another use for the rocks before ever starting my project, keeping eggs upright while boiling.

I put just enough rocks into the bottom of a saucepan to stand the eggs on. After placing the eggs on the rocks, I add more rocks to cover at least the bottom two-thirds of the eggs. When I fill the pan with water, the eggs will remain upright and stationary. Works beautifully.

Do I plan to drag out these rocks every time I boil eggs? Of course not. The rocks were just an experiment. I wanted to see if I could come up with something from around the house to hold my eggs upright while I am waiting for a nice little wire basket from Amazon. The basket will hold seven eggs in an upright position while they are being boiled.

The eggs are going to taste the same, and perform the same, whether they remain upright while cooking or not. So, why bother? Well, I'll tell you. I made a discovery in my quest for the perfect way to peel boiled eggs.

I'm sure you know, peeling eggs easily requires that the membrane between the shell and the egg white will release from the white readily. And the best way to make that happen is to get water between the membrane and the egg white.

Cracking the eggs all over is easy. I usually roll them on the divider between the sink bowls. The next step can sometimes be a hassle. That is, picking away a part of the shell and hoping the membrane comes with it. Too often the membrane is stuck solid.

I did the experiment with the rocks to see if keeping the eggs upright while boiling would cause one large air pocket at the upright end of the egg rather than the air space being evenly distributed around the egg. It did.

As a result, I could easily pick away shell and membrane from the tip of the egg. I did one quick bang against the sink divider to start the shell cracking. Then while holding the eggs under running water, I rolled the eggs briskly between my palms to complete the cracking process.

Using this method, about half of the eggs peeled very easily. The other half? The shell slid off the eggs while I was rolling them between my palms. I didn't even have to peel them.

Another advantage of keeping eggs upright is that the yolk will always be centered. Often, the yolk will migrate to near the shell. This doesn't matter if you are making egg salad. But it can be hard to slice boiled eggs when one area of the white is paper thin. The slice usually crumbles. We want our egg slices atop our holiday platter of potato salad to be uniform and aesthetically pleasing, don't we?

This is my last egg peeling tip for 2017. Any more and I'll be tied for number of posts with 'How Soon Can I Re Dye My Hair'.

When you boil eggs, put a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the water. This makes them easier to peel, because the shells are porous and a tiny bit of oil is absorbed

Source: Family Circle April 1, 2009

By leanne chaisson

I have a plastic, long-handled pasta scoop with a hole in the bottom of its bowl and serrated edge. After eggs are boiled, use the scoop to remove them from the pot, eliminating risk of burn because of scalding water, or dropped eggs. For those of you who color Easter eggs, it is a "must."

To stop a hard boiled egg from cracking, plunge it in cold water for 7 to 8 minutes.

When you boil eggs, add a little salt or vinegar to the water, bring it to a boil, boil for one minute and remove from heat and cover. Let it stand until cool enough to handle eggs.

When you put the water in the pot to boil eggs, add 1 tsp of baking soda to the water. This will help after the eggs come out, and they will be much easier to peel.

This is a guide about peeling hard boiled eggs. Hard boiled eggs are a delicious protein rich snack and an ingredient in many recipes. However, sometimes rather than a cleanly peeled egg you are left with a mess of ragged egg white stuck to the shell.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Use an egg slicer to chop eggs for egg salad, dip or salad topping. First, place the egg in the slicer and slice it one way. Next, turn the egg so the slicer can cut the egg across the slices you already made to create little squares or rectangles of egg.

This is a guide about marking hard boiled eggs. If you are storing hard boiled eggs in the same carton as your raw ones, marking will remove the confusion and prevent an accidental mess in the kitchen.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

DearWebby0 found this helpful

Here are some tips for boiling eggs in an energy saving manner. To prevent eggs from cracking, make an Anti-Cracker. (I invented this one about 30 years ago.)

I would like to know how to boil an egg?

By jayasree

Answers

I put mine in a sauce pan and let the water reach a rolling boil. Then cover and let them stand for 12 minutes. This will give you hard boiled eggs which are firm but not dry.

To avoid the black ring around the yolk, put the raw egg into cold water to cover the eggs. Turn the stove on medium, bring to a boil, turn off, let sit 20 minutes. Run under cold water, peel and eat, or use in a recipe.

I use a pan with cold water and boil them for 30 minutes do not put the lid of the pan while you are boiling. then rest for a minute or two then run in a cold water for it easy to peel off.

Put in pot with cold water, add a little vinegar to the water, bring to boil, put lid on and shut off burner. Let set 10 -12 minutes.

I add the vinegar in case there is a hair line crack that I can't see. The vinegar will set the protein, and white will not come out of egg while cooking.

Anonymous

I pierce the large end of the egg with a needle (this releases the pressure so the egg won't crack while cooking) and place the eggs in a pan of water, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cook for twelve minutes and immediately drain and fill with cold water so they stop cooking (this way they won't get the brown ring).

Anonymous

do you coverwhilecooking

After years of trying to make perfect boiled eggs for Deviled Eggs, and ending up with chunks out of them, I have finally found the answers. Begin by placing your eggs in a single layer in a pan and covering with cold water. Add a wooden toothpick (believe it or not, this will keep the egg shells from cracking while they are cooking). Bring the water to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute, cover and remove from the heat. Allow to cool.

Now for the hard part; peeling them without tearing them. Place a coffee filter in your sink to cover the drain. Turn on the cold water faucet with a slow stream of water. Strike the shell on the counter to crack, then gently press the shell until it is all cracked.

Start at the large end of the egg, and while holding it under the stream of water, start slowly peeling the shell away. Let the shells fall into the coffee filter. The water will drain away, and when the job is finished, gather the filter and egg shells and drop into the trash, Or better yet, add it to your garden compost.

To cut the eggs smoothly into halves, dip your knife in cold water first, To dress up those "Pretty" deviled eggs, sprinkle with Paprika.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Source: This is an accumulation from trial and error of all the tips I have heard over the years. I have tried them all, but kept the best.

Answers:

Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

I had a pinch of salt to cold water and put in the eggs and boil for 10 minutes. I get good results. (04/30/2010)

By Dorothy

Add a little vegetable oil to the water in the pot when boiling eggs. The shells absorbs just enough of the oil so that the shells then slide right off!

Answers:

Add Vegetable Oil for Easy Hard Boiled Egg Peeling

I can't wait to try this! Thanks! (03/25/2009)

By Kendy

I am definitely going to give this a try!
(03/25/2009)

By Ann

Add Vegetable Oil to Hard Boiled Eggs

Thanks so very much for this suggestion! I have been having such a hard time 'peeling' my hard boiled eggs. I put them in water, heat to low boil, remove from heat and let sit for 20-25 minutes, then refrigerate in covered container.

Eggs are perfect, except for removing the shell. (03/26/2009)

By Joan

RE: Add Vegetable Oil to Hard Boiled Eggs

Add Vegetable Oil to Hard Boiled Eggs

What a good idea! Janet (03/27/2009)

By Janet

Add Vegetable Oil to Hard Boiled Eggs

Same as above, thanks again for the suggestion. I love this website, it gives a lot of good suggestions. I also liked the water deal with the sunny side up eggs. Hubby liked that one too. (03/27/2009)

By Barbara Snyder

Add Vegetable Oil to Hard Boiled Eggs

Such a good idea. It makes me hungry for deviled eggs. (03/27/2009)

By susan winship

When boiling eggs, I used to always put the eggs in a pot and bring the water to a boil and continue boiling the eggs for 15-20 minutes. I saw the following tip on the Food Network and decided to give it a try. Put the eggs in a pot and bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water begins to boil, put a lid on the pot, turn off the burner, and let the eggs sit there on the burner for 15 minutes. The eggs come out perfect every time. Using this method saves energy and doesn't heat up your kitchen.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Answers:

To chop hard boiled eggs for egg salad or tuna salad, use a pie crust blender that is used to cut shortening into flour for pie crust.