Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

1
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

When peeling hardboiled eggs, roll eggs on center divider of sink under cold running water. Squeezing the egg with your hands. The shell will peel off easily and the membrane holds the shell almost whole.

By Vi Johnson from Moorpark, CA

30 More Solutions

Peeling boiled eggs is my least favorite chore in the kitchen. I don't like to get the egg shells under my nails. A friend taught me a neat trick several years ago.

Peeling Eggs

Once you have boiled your eggs, take a smallish jar that an egg can fit into. Add about an inch of water. Plop in the egg and put the lid on.

A hard boiled egg being peeled.

For quick and easy clean up when peeling hard boiled egg, lay a piece of cling wrap on the kitchen bench before you start to peel the eggs. Then when you have peeled the eggs, just throw the peel and wrap in the bin.

Years ago when I cooked a lot, I read a tip for preventing eggs from cracking while being boiled. The method was simple; punch a hole in one end of the eggs with a pin before dropping them into the water.

Peeling Boiled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs will peel easily if cracked and placed in cold water immediately after taking out of the hot water.

Instead of spending several minutes peeling each boiled egg, just cut them in half with a sharp knife and scoop out the egg with a spoon. This is so much faster when you plan on cutting them up anyway.

Many times we have difficulty peeling hard-boiled eggs. Sure, sometimes they are easy to shell, but for some reason at other times, the shells splinter into a thousand pieces and stick to the white! Just by using a spoon, I have made the process of using a hard boiled egg incredibly easy.

A hard boiled egg inside a cup.

My husband loves hard boiled eggs for a quick, healthier, more than normal snack. With time, I've tried other tips I've read about concerning hard boiled eggs and would like to share my recent discovery.

When boiling hard boiled eggs, try this. After boiling is completed, pour off boiling water and fill with cold water. Fill pan with ice cubes and let set 15 minutes. The shells will slip right off, no mess, no fuss. The ice cubes are a life saver and a time saver.

This tip is derived from blowing out eggs for egg decorating. Here, to easy peel hardboiled eggs, bang the egg all around on a hard surface and remove some off the top of the narrower end. Form a circle with your thumb and index finger about the same size of the opening, then blow into the egg. The shell will lift, then you can peel it all off in one or two pieces.

Easy Peel Hardboiled Eggs

After cooking, fill boiler with cold water for eggs to cool. Drain off all water. Hold lid on boiler and shake for a minute or two. Most eggshells will be off. Just rinse off the rest...

To make boiled eggs very easy to peel, add a teaspoon of table salt to your cold water. If you are boiling a lot of eggs for deviled eggs, I would use at least a Tbsp. of salt.

I was thinking that overcooking the eggs literally glues the membrane to the egg white. This is a fact. Then, I thought that allowing the egg to cool before peeling would cause the membrane to shrink somewhat, making it fit tighter around the egg white. And, though I couldn't find a video on such, I was sure commercially peeled boiled eggs aren't given a cool down period.

A pile of hard boiled eggshells removed from the egg.

Start eggs in cold water with a couple of heaping teaspoons of salt. The salt sucks the calcium out of the shells and makes them easier to peel. You can also put them in ice water and roll them on the counter for easier removal.

I don't know if anybody has tried this already or sent this in. But here's a way to peel your "hard-boiled" eggs all at once. I don't think it works for "soft-boiled". I didn't want to try that, could be very messy.

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsAugust 17, 2011
🌻
🐛
👔
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf294583.tip.html