EggsFood Tips

Peeling Boiled Eggs Easily

I just did something I'm sure I've never done, before. I peeled an entire dozen eggs and did not tear a single one, not the tiniest bit. Not only was it the fastest I ever peeled a dozen eggs, most of the shells came off in one piece.

I used a combination of techniques. Be forewarned, if you've huffed a pack of Camels a day for the last 30 years, I suggest you not try this tip.

After boiling the eggs, I allowed them to cool enough to handle. Then I took an egg from the water. I rolled it on a hard surface til the shell was cracked all over. Next, I picked loose from the small end, (the large end may work better. Feel free to experiment), enough shell to make an opening about the diameter of a pencil eraser. I made sure to pick through the egg membrane.

I held the egg with the 'opening' up right, under the faucet for a split second. This wetted the opening for the next step. Then I cupped my fingers and thumb around the egg, leaving an area exposed that would fit my lips. I blew, nice and hard.

I heard a 'pop' as the shell and membrane separated from the egg. Then I returned the egg to the faucet stream, rubbed the egg a little and the shell simply fell off.

Maybe I did a better blow on some of the eggs because I blew several of them right out of the shell. It does take a hefty blow to do this, but if I can do it at 73, I think most younger people could. If you need assistance ask someone to blow for you.

And now, for speed, ease, and uniformity, I will quickly grate, rather than mash or chop, this chilled dozen eggs in preparation to making a delicious egg salad. One that includes a hint of garlic powder, a little something I learned right here on ThriftyFun

Note: Eggs can be blown right out of the shell with no peeling at all. This requires more lung power than a lot of people have. That's why I suggest peeling them under running water after they have been blown.

Oh! I forgot to mention. You will find several videos on YouTube of people blowing the shell off an egg. Some of them are genuine. Some of them are as fake as Dolly Parton's...well, let's say 'hair'.

Dolly Parton's breast are 100% real.

Of course her breasts are real and so are the implants inserted by
Denver Plastic Surgeon Dr. John A. Grossman. Dolly has admitted to breast augmentation. Why would she lie about something like that?

This method seems a bit unhygienic. I just put a sprinkle of baking soda in the water to boil the eggs and they peel beautifully.

No one other than myself eats the food I prepare. As there is no chance of pathogen transfer to another person, it is not unhygienic.

I seriously doubt baking soda has any effect on the ease of peeling boiled eggs. The soda would have to penetrate the shell. I doubt it does. And if it did to any appreciable degree, it would cause an undesirable taste to the eggs. However, I will be open minded and give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous

I am a retired nurse and my husband is a microbiologist........I don't think I would eat an egg someone has spewed their saliva onto. I will stick with my method of step one and two. It works just as well. Yuk.

You have grossly over dramatized the situation. I did not spew saliva onto the egg. Also, to any interested parties, I live alone. The food I prepare is eaten by no one else. If I choose to drink milk from the jug, it's no one else's business. I do a lot of things I would never do if someone was living with me and I make no apologies for doing so.

And too, there is a small molded plastic gadget just for this purpose so a person's lips never come in contact with the egg.

Have you ever 'French' kissed? What it amounts to is 'swapping slobber'. While I'm sure you would never take saliva some one had spit into their hand, into your mouth, if you have ever kissed deeply, you have taken another person's saliva into your mouth. What's the difference?

I've noticed a lot of people aren't as clean as they think they are.

Please, would you 'Anonymous's take a break. Knowing how much body oils are secreted through glands in the hands, and knowing how dead skin cells are constantly being shed by the whole body, including the hands, If you are not wearing gloves through the entire process of preparing food, you've little room to speak as to what is unhygienic.

I see some of you 'clean' people as the type who would kiss infant babies, babies whose immune system has only begun to develop. Clean to most people is what they think it is.

Anonymous

Hope you are not contagious!

I don't do this in a restaurant. The eggs are for my own consumption. If I were contagious, unlike a lot of other people who think themselves so clean, I would be in self imposed quarantine.

I never thought of doing that but I can see how it would work. The trick is to get some water under that membrane and sometimes, that's hard to do. Great job on all those eggs!!

You get the picture. When you blow on the egg and hear that 'pop', it's the membrane separating from the egg. Then when you hold the egg under a stream of water again, the water gets between the membrane and the egg. That's why rolling the egg then will sometimes cause the shell to slide off in one piece.

Going to have to try this as we use a lot of boiled eggs for many dishes including egg salad - and - we have fresh eggs to use - our chickens love my garden - too much sometimes.
thanks - never heard of this so it should be interesting.

Anonymous

Fancy that! This is the first I recall of you mentioning having chickens. And do you have a cock crowing before sunrise? Oh I hate that. The only cock I want to hear is Le coq d'or by Rimsky-Korsakov.