How to Blow the Shell off a Hard-Boiled Egg

Category Eggs
Removing the shell from hard-boiled eggs is easy if you blow on the shells to gently remove them. This guide details how to blow the shell off a hard-boiled egg.

I just did something I'm sure I've never done, before. I peeled an entire dozen eggs and did not tear a single one, not the tiniest bit. Not only was it the fastest I ever peeled a dozen eggs, most of the shells came off in one piece.

I used a combination of techniques. Be forewarned, if you've huffed a pack of Camels a day for the last 30 years, I suggest you not try this tip.

After boiling the eggs, I allowed them to cool enough to handle. Then I took an egg from the water. I rolled it on a hard surface til the shell was cracked all over. Next, I picked loose from the small end, (the large end may work better. Feel free to experiment), enough shell to make an opening about the diameter of a pencil eraser. I made sure to pick through the egg membrane.

I held the egg with the 'opening' up right, under the faucet for a split second. This wetted the opening for the next step. Then I cupped my fingers and thumb around the egg, leaving an area exposed that would fit my lips. I blew, nice and hard.

I heard a 'pop' as the shell and membrane separated from the egg. Then I returned the egg to the faucet stream, rubbed the egg a little and the shell simply fell off.

Maybe I did a better blow on some of the eggs because I blew several of them right out of the shell. It does take a hefty blow to do this, but if I can do it at 73, I think most younger people could. If you need assistance ask someone to blow for you.

And now, for speed, ease, and uniformity, I will quickly grate, rather than mash or chop, this chilled dozen eggs in preparation to making a delicious egg salad. One that includes a hint of garlic powder, a little something I learned right here on ThriftyFun

Note: Eggs can be blown right out of the shell with no peeling at all. This requires more lung power than a lot of people have. That's why I suggest peeling them under running water after they have been blown.

Top Comment

You have grossly over dramatized the situation. I did not spew saliva onto the egg. Also, to any interested parties, I live alone. The food I prepare is eaten by no one else. If I choose to drink milk from the jug, it's no one else's business. I do a lot of things I would never do if someone was living with me and I make no apologies for doing so.

And too, there is a small molded plastic gadget just for this purpose so a person's lips never come in contact with the egg.

Have you ever 'French' kissed? What it amounts to is 'swapping slobber'. While I'm sure you would never take saliva some one had spit into their hand, into your mouth, if you have ever kissed deeply, you have taken another person's saliva into your mouth. What's the difference?

I've noticed a lot of people aren't as clean as they think they are.

Oh! I forgot to mention. You will find several videos on YouTube of people blowing the shell off an egg. Some of them are genuine. Some of them are as fake as Dolly Parton's...well, let's say 'hair'.

Dolly Parton's breast are 100% real.

This method seems a bit unhygienic. I just put a sprinkle of baking soda in the water to boil the eggs and they peel beautifully.