How to Blow the Shell off a Hard-Boiled Egg

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 523 Posts

A bowl of peeled hard boiled eggs.A bowl of peeled hard boiled eggs.

I just did something I'm sure I've never done, before. I peeled an entire dozen eggs and did not tear a single one, not the tiniest bit. Not only was it the fastest I ever peeled a dozen eggs, most of the shells came off in one piece.

An eggshell from a peeled hard boiled egg.

I used a combination of techniques. Be forewarned, if you've huffed a pack of Camels a day for the last 30 years, I suggest you not try this tip.

After boiling the eggs, I allowed them to cool enough to handle. Then I took an egg from the water. I rolled it on a hard surface til the shell was cracked all over. Next, I picked loose from the small end, (the large end may work better. Feel free to experiment), enough shell to make an opening about the diameter of a pencil eraser. I made sure to pick through the egg membrane.

I held the egg with the 'opening' up right, under the faucet for a split second. This wetted the opening for the next step. Then I cupped my fingers and thumb around the egg, leaving an area exposed that would fit my lips.

I blew, nice and hard.

I heard a 'pop' as the shell and membrane separated from the egg. Then I returned the egg to the faucet stream, rubbed the egg a little and the shell simply fell off.

Maybe I did a better blow on some of the eggs because I blew several of them right out of the shell. It does take a hefty blow to do this, but if I can do it at 73, I think most younger people could. If you need assistance ask someone to blow for you.

And now, for speed, ease, and uniformity, I will quickly grate, rather than mash or chop, this chilled dozen eggs in preparation to making a delicious egg salad. One that includes a hint of garlic powder, a little something I learned right here on ThriftyFun

Grated hard boiled eggs in a white bowl.

Note: Eggs can be blown right out of the shell with no peeling at all. This requires more lung power than a lot of people have. That's why I suggest peeling them under running water after they have been blown.

Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsFebruary 5, 2018
🌻
🎆
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Peeling-Boiled-Eggs-Easily.html