Rag Rug from Recycled Fleece Clothing

I have just joined the site and thought you might like to see a rug made from recycled fleece jackets. They are very cheap to buy in the charity shops, there are some brilliant colors and make a super rug. Animals particularly like the cozy feel and I suppose they could be made with the name of the dog/cat.

For a large rug, hessian needs to be fixed on to a stretcher and needs to be quite taut. Cut fleece garments or throws into long half inch strips and work with holding the strip under the hessian and poking a hook.

I used a large crochet hook, through the hessian and picking up a loop through the hole. I continued with loops close to each other following the design drawn on the hessian with marker pen, leaving a border for folding under.

I used double sided carpet tape to fold the edges over but copydex is good. I then covered the back and glued the edges of a square of hessian tucking in a hem for neatness.

By Isobel

I am interested in how this rug is made. I have made several different types, and am currently working on a primitive rug hooking, but I love the idea of recycled fleece, and would be interested in how it is made. Could you post some basic directions or an explanation of type?

Awesome! How did you make that? Did you cut strips and hook them through cloth? I have never made a rag rug before

Isobel, you are so creative, I'll bet those are so soft. Many years ago, I made rugs from hooking yarn in a backing, they are very pretty and durable. I think you can use most any fabric as long as it is of similar weight.

This craft was a practical use of hard-to-come-by fabric, many years ago. People made use of every bit of clothing too worn to wear. It's hard for most people to imagine not having all the things we have today but years ago, life was more difficult and most things were made by the people using them. For clothing, they sheared the sheep, spun the wool and made the clothing from it. Now, I don't have personal experience with that LOL but almost!

This is brilliant! I'd love to know how you started this project.

Too nice for a pet! Beautiful rug!

Would love to have the instructions posted here.

Thanks so much! You're brilliant.

Mary

Yes, please post the instructions - our new puppy would love a rug!

A work of art! I too would like some instructions on site

You rock! Please post directions. What kind of backing are you using, or is it tied into itself without the need for a canvas backing?

Another request for the instructions please.

Lovely job!

I found instructions for circles cut out of fleece fabric, you then sew them on a backing (could be corduroy, or towel), the circles are about 2 or 2.5 inches in diameter. The end result could be beautiful with different colors sewed in straight lines. It's also very warm on the feet!

Rosebud

Isobel, Your rug is AWESOME;) It looks a lot like some very expensive rugs I've seen (and wanted!), in the high-end stores. You could, most definitely, make a living at this. I'm sure ;) I, too, am very interested in instructions on how to do this, as I'm in love with high-end decorating... but, on a low-end budget, lol;) Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

I have bags of second hand clothes (including fleece articles) from my 4 teenagers. Would love to have the instructions to make this rug. It is gorgeous!

I would love to have the instructions also.

How amazing. When I saw the pic, I thought it was wall art. I would love to have the instructions on how to make this for myself. Thanks so much...

(submitted via email)

You are so gracious to take the time to do this. I'm sure many of our

thrifty friends will want instructions. I have many scraps of fleece and

some yardage also. Will be happy to find a different way to use it.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Mary

It is beautiful! Also instructions would be great.

I am also interested in learning this procedure. Please post instructions or a link. The rug is beautiful.

Isobel - I love your rug & recycling. I've been wanting to do this, tried rag rugmaking years ago. The fleece I've been thinking about lately because I have scraps from sewing & clothes and am an avid second hand shopper. I would love further directions, Where do I get a hespian. I just did mine on canvas with a rug hook, then machine and hand sewing. It was ok, but nothing like this beautiful creation. Thank you so much.

I must have the instructions. I have many fleece jackets that are of no use anymore, not to mention the scraps that I accumulate from making fleece no sew blankets. PLEASE PLEASE post instructions.

Well, Isobel, it seems you have a following! LOL I, too, am very interested in the process! If memory serves me, I think a hessian is just like a canvas or burlap sort of backing, is that correct? I do hope you post some instructions soon. These would really go over big in the craft shows and flea markets. You could do well for yourself! Thanks for the tips.

Hi,

Yes, more details would be helpful. How do you secure the strip on the back so the loops do not pull out?

I have crocheted rag rugs but this is something different. Never used a backing. Is the backing the same as for a latch hook rug? Your rug is really beautiful. Would love to make one for me.

Another request for instructions. PLEASE, pretty please, with sugar and cream on top!

From the instructions you have, I'm thinking the rug ends up being flat vs. looped. But I may be so confused. PLEASE! Now I'm begging. I'll quit.

Years ago, when I was in Art school, a dear friend made several rugs like this. As crafty as I was, I just could not get the hang of it, and mine never turned out. Your picture makes me remember why I was upset that I couldn't make mine work. It's such a wonderful craft and the rugs are so beautiful. I just may try my hand at it again! Thank you so much for the inspiration.

How do the loops stay in place? Very nice!

Hi Isobel, This is the best rug I've seen from old clothes. I would like to make a rectangular one from the way too many t-shirts I have cluttering my life! I have some latch-hook backing that I have had for years in my studio - do you think I could use it rather than the hessian? Also, could you explain in more detail how the loops are secured. I was going to try a latch hook style, but this looks neater and more professional. Could you please send me some information? (Great design too, might I say). Yenski :)

Hello Isobel!

I just ran across your lovely article for the fleece rugs and I am in awe! I do have questions about the kind of stretcher that you use...how big do you recommend, where do you buy them...etc. I am a novice at this kind of thing and would like to also know where hessian is found. Thank you so much for inspiring me. If you could also send me exact instructions that would be really great too!! Feel free to contact me at the email address listed.

Thank you bunches! :o)

Oh please please add me to the list of those wanting instructions. I can hardly wait to get started. You are so very talented and kind to share this with us.

Jeanette.

I also would like the instructions on making a rug like yours ~ beautiful art work!

Go to http://creativeliving.fr.yuku.com/topic/683#.VgW2wm4ZaXk for the basic instructions and directions. It isn't fleece, but you can use your imagination to figure all.

Good luck!

I looked up "hessian" in Wikipedia and discovered it's the same thing as burlap. Then I searched a while and found a very good video showing how to make a rag rug using hessian or burlap, though no frame is used. Finally, a liquid latex rug backing can be used to make the back stronger and slip-proof. This is available in stores like Michaels, AC Moore, etc. or online through Amazon and other websites. The url for the video is below.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-rag-rug

Beautiful! I would also like the directions. I am currently working on a locker hook rug, but its not as pretty.

Just to check, I tried the link to the video I posted last September, and sure enough, it's not there any more! So I found a new link, which comes from Martha Stewart. In this video, another lady is teaching Martha how to hook a rug with fabric strips. The link is posted below.

http://www.marthastewart.com/912107/rug-hooking

Here's a link to another video; this lady is using strips of wool fabric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFkqnT8Czng

Round t-shirt rag rug.
Making a Rag Rug
Crafts RugsJanuary 28, 2009
Crafts Made from Recycled Bedspreads, Shoulder bag made from recycled chenille bedspread.
Crafts Made from Recycled Bedspreads
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Fleece Hat, Gloves and Scarf
Crafts Using Fleece
🎄