Erasing the Memory in Ni-Cd Batteries

I recently purchased 18 Malibu solar garden/pathway lights on eBay that were listed as new; however, the boxes were opened and the tabs had been pulled to activate the rechargeable batteries. The boxes said the batteries should last 15 hours (per night), but they only stay lit about 3-4 hours. It seems that if I try to replace the AA 1.2V 900 mAh Ni-Cd batteries that came with them, it would cost a small fortune (to me, anyway!).

I've been reading that the Ni-Cd batteries have a memory that causes them to lose power time, but read some suggestions of putting them in the freezer for 3-4 hours to erase the memory? Any ideas or input of how I can remedy this situation at any affordable price?

THANKS in advance for ANY advice or input!

Leah from Shelbyville, TN

Make sure your lights are in a place where they receive full sunshine to fully charge the batteries. I found this out the hard way. If they don't get the sunshine it won't let them last long. Just an idea.....

It's a shame that some eBay sellers are not honest in their descriptions.

If you're not satisfied with your purchase, either contact the seller or file a dispute in your ebay account. Make sure you pick the option, item not as described.

...and make sure that they do not receive any light from street lights or porch lights at night either because that will sometimes make them turn off. I learned THAT the hard way, too. I have 2 lights that I put outside our front door...not realizing that at night the streetlight in the parking lot of our building would prevent them from shining.

God Bless,

Sheila in Cocoa, FL

Don't use NiCd batteries, the NiMH are far better for this purpose. I just read an article in 'The Week' magazine about the revolution in solar-powered lights for walkways with these batteries. Also they suggested going for lights with at least 10 LCDs in each light.

Home and Garden Repair Electronics (Small)July 31, 2008
Getting More Life from Batteries
Getting More Life from Batteries
Recycling Car Batteries, old battery
Recycling Car Batteries
Swiffer Wet Jet
Changing the Batteries on a Swiffer Wet Jet
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
🎉
🎄