SewingCrafts

Pattern for Square Velour Bags

I have been looking for Velour bags for my daughter's best friend's baby shower favors. My girl has decided to give out China luncheon plates with 18K gold rim, as a thank you. We will write information in the middle of the plate with gold pen.

All the bags that I have seen do not come large enough to hold the plate. They measure 8x8 in.. Does anyone have a pattern idea so we can sew approximately 50 of them. I figured a square 9x9 in. What do you think? The shower is in June. Thanks for any suggestions.

Linda from New York City

You are on the right track, measuring your plate, make sure the measurements include the back-side bulk. If there isn't much, then you have it. Why not include a gold corded drawstring, how pretty it will look. Good luck, I believe you have the right idea.

I think they would look equally as nice wrapped with tulle netting. That way you can see the plate through it and you would save a fortune. Tie the tulle with a pretty satin ribbon. Just my opinion. I love the idea of the plate.

Sandy

If you want a 9x9 inch bag, cut your velour to 10 inch width and 10 inch height. Fold your material so that the bottom of the bag requires no seam (and refold as necessary for the remaining bags). You only now need to cut it out on 3 sides, the bottom is on the fold.

Using a 1/2 inch seam allowance, sew the side seams of the bag (right sides together ) leaving 1 inch unsewn (open) at the top. Turn down the unsewn top edges on both the front and back sides (by 1/2 inch) and sew this in place with stitching near the raw edge (this makes a casing for your drawstring).

Turn the bag right side out. Thread a pretty ribbon or cord through the top edge casing you made earlier by inserting one ribbon through left to right on the back side and back to the left through the front side.Knot ends together on left side leaving 2-3 inches of extra ribbon. Do the same thing again starting on the right side. You have now inserted two separate ribbons that when pulled at the same time will cause the bag to close nicely.

And you are done!! What a nice keepsake idea you had. Hope this helps you do what you wanted.

Pat V in Roseville, MI