Pineapple Coleslaw

I have never found a homemade coleslaw recipe that I liked, so this is a result of my own experimentation.

• 1 (14 oz.) bag coleslaw mix (found by the bagged salad in the produce section)
  • Ad
  • 1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple
  • 1 tart apple (Granny Smith is recommended), chopped fine or grated
  • 1 and 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. lime juice
  • 1/2 cup poppy seed dressing
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds, and 1/4 cup for garnish (honey-roasted if possible)
  • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste

Put coleslaw mix in a bowl. Put pineapple in a strainer and dry well (press pineapple with the back of a big spoon. Also, you could put the pineapple into a piece of cheesecloth or a thin dishtowel and wring the juice out).

Grate or finely chop the apple and add it to the serving bowl, and toss with lime juice to prevent the apple from browning.

Put coleslaw mix in the bowl and add the pineapple.

Blend the dressing and sour cream together and toss into the coleslaw mixture; season to taste (if the dressing doesn't look like it will stretch, don't worry - the salt will draw the moisture out of the ingredients) and add the sunflower seeds. Garnish with 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and serve as soon as possible. Leftovers will last 2-3 days in the fridge, but the cabbage will be somewhat wilted.

Note: If serving this at a potluck, chop the apple at home and mix with the lime juice. Mix the dressing ingredients - pack the various components of the slaw separately and combine at the location in order to serve it as freshly as possible.

Optional Variations: Add cooled chopped chicken to the salad to make an easy one-dish meal. Add 1/4 cup additional poppy seed dressing if needed. A good way to utilize leftover chicken!

Also, using red or green seedless grapes for garnish not only makes the slaw look pretty, but is a wonderful addition to the flavor of the slaw.

Servings: 6 - 7 as a side dish; 4 as the one-dish meal version
Time:10 - 15 Minutes Preparation Time

Source: My own kitchen! I made it with chicken as a one-dish meal for my husband and I (a rare evening without the kids), and we devoured almost the entire batch!

By Vanordem from Idaho Falls, ID

Storing Pineapples, Canning Pineapples. Sliced fresh mini pineapple.
Pineapple Salad Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads ColeslawJune 11, 2009
Coleslaw in White Ramekin
Coleslaw Recipes
Freezing Pineapple
Canning Pineapples
Selecting Good Pineapples