Product Review: Magic Jack

I bought the Magic Jack telephone device about a month ago. It is great and I am no longer paying out a monthly telephone bill. It costs $40.00 to buy and the first year is included in the purchase price. After that, it's $20.00 per year. No monthly phone bill.

You need a computer because that provides your connection. It connects to a USB port on your computer and the telephone connects into the device. You have long distance and the caller's number shows on your computer screen. You can also put in names and numbers of family and friends just like a regular telephone.

I think this is great and it saves you so much money. I was paying $45.00 every month for my house phone and I didn't have long distance. This is wonderful for anyone looking for ways to control their monthly expenses. With the costs of everything lately and so much unemployment, this could be a big help to many.

Source: Magic Jack TV ad

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

I found that the best way to run the MJ is 1) high speed internet connection 2) have a dedicated computer system for the mj. This elimanates the breaks in the conversations.

If I am correct a high speed internet connection is required. Best check on that factor if you don't have high speed internet before buying the Magic Jack

We just got one and we like it.

I've had MagicJack for about eight months now, and I absolutely love it! It's enabled me to keep in touch with folks all over the country, something I wouldn't have been able to do without it.

I was just wondering and this is probably a really dumb question, what do you guys use for the dsl-high speed part of your packages. We have quite the monopoly on phone service over here and so of course I would just love to leave this stupid company. They are the only option for telephone but we can get dish network or directv is that what you use? Thanks for any replies and for the original poster. :)

For the latest magic jack news and information I've been checking this site: http://www.magicjackspoker.com/

They update a ton, and it's always really well researched. I hope you can find a use for it!

I bought one from Radio Shack and tried it. It worked fine but then I discovered that area codes in my state (NH) are not yet available. That means I'd have to dial the full number (with area code) to dial local numbers and that my NH friends would need to make a long distance call to reach me. Not acceptable, so I returned the unit for a refund.

I contacted the Magic Jack "Live Chat" rep to see when NH numbers would be available. No ETA other than "soon". I see from other reviews that NH area code support has been coming for more than 2 years ["They did tell us that NH will be available shortly" (March 2008)].

As far as I can tell, NH, Alaska and Hawaii are the only areas not yet supported. I can understand AK and HI since they not continental states, but NH is surrounded by less populous states that are already supported (VT and ME).

I'll keep checking for another 2 months. If NH isn't supported by August 2010, I'll have to go with Vonage.

This is the worst service I have ever had. My Magic Jack was broken. I called to ask for replacement. After long time on hold (about 1 hour) the representative confirmed the replacement within 3-5 days and I have to pay $20. After 7 days I didn't receive it. I chat again with a representative who discovers a mistake from their side. The representative was extremely impolite, she never answered quickly and left me for 15 minutes before answering my questions. She refused to place my replacement in a hurry, not even offering to not pay the $20. She refused to transfer me to any manager (saying this is the policy). I already spent a lot of money for not having a phone for 1 week and now I have to wait for another week because it's their mistake and I'll pay for this service, $20 + tax.

What professional service!

I think the magic Jack works great. It is super cheap and sure that causes it to come with it's hiccups but you have to expect that when it is only $20 for a whole year. Overall it cannot be beat. I hope they can stay in business at this price though.

I found a good site that has tons of info on the magic jack. Many people have complained about customer service but on this site they list a secret customer service number that nobody seems to know about. They asked that it not be republished though cause they are worried if to many people know about it then magic Jack may shut it off. You'll have to go to the site to get the number, the site is http://www.magic-jack.com. enjoy!

Magic Jack Reviews
Magic Jack Reviews
Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 21, 2010
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
star shaped magic wand
Magic Wand Crafts
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Jack Sparrow Costume
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
Cleaning With Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
🎄